need help setting timing on a 1985 vro 70 johnson

jmhillusn

Cadet
how do i set the timing? what are the procedures? my seloc manual is very vague and has no steps to set timing. can anyone help?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: need help setting timing on a 1985 vro 70 johnson

Unless you or someone else has moved the full spark advance screw (the screw that has the rubber button on the eend of it), it's unlikely that you need to set the timing.

However, this should help you somewhat if you want to check it.

(Timing At Cranking Speed 4°)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: If your engine has the "Fast Start" feature", you must disconnect/eliminate that feature in order to use the following method. The "Fast Start" automatically advances the spark electronically when the engine first starts, dropping it to normal when the engine reaches a certain temperture.

The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows.

To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary).

Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for.

I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28°, set the timing at 24°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°.

If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place.

No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting.

Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

james51

Recruit
Re: need help setting timing on a 1985 vro 70 johnson

Will this work on a 1990 225 evinrude , and witch would be the #1 piston ? The man I got it from turned the adjustment screw and come to find out it was the flywheel giving the problem.