bent skeg on 85 horse Evinrude

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After running my boat for the 1st time with a newly purchased 1976 85hp Evinrude, I noticed it pulls to the left. The faster I go the more pronounced it is. It's almost like the entire boat is being pulled downward from something very heavy on the left side and as a result, pulls in that direction. There is no weight imbalance however. I adjusted the trim tab 3 times, increasing the pitch each time with no effect. Upon closer inspection, the skeg appears slightly bent to the left when standing directly behind it. I filed and cleaned it up the best I could but am wondering how or if one can re-bend it back? I first thought to use my mini torch to heat it up and try to bend it back, but reasoned that could really screw up some stuff if the heat traveled upward into the shaft assembly or worse, it just breaks off. Also, the motor is sharing the exact same holes in the transom from the motor I took off, so it's not like I mounted it crooked or anything. It has 2 large stabilizer fins that my old motor did not have, so could they be causing the pull? I raised the trim at speed hoping to reduce the pull at a higher setting, but it never did and I actually broke the prop out of the water for a second. Any ideas?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: bent skeg on 85 horse Evinrude

I have not been able to overcome a badly bent skeg with a trim tab. If you take the motor to a welder who does aluminum he may be able to correct the skeg with a repair part. The replacement skeg can be welded on and they are relatively cheap. The welder is another matter.

I don't know of a way to guarantee that straightening it yourself will not break it. You can try to cut the skeg in such a manner as to leave a straight section and then attach a skeggard. The Skeggard just slips over and bolts to the old skeg so it is something that you can do yourself:

http://www.iboats.com/mall/?cart_id...=keyword&keywords=skeg&submit.x=39&submit.y=9

"http://www.skeggard.com/Application.html"

The lower units from 1973 to 1977 115HP and 85HP
will all fit and there are a lot of them around. The 135HP from 1973 through 1976 will also fit but may have a slightly different gear ratio.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take the dolfins off and try it with out them, before you speng any money. someting they cause more trouble than they fix.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Did you turn the back of the trim tab to the left?

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I removed the fins last night and centered the tab. I'll hit the water tonight and see how it runs.

I had the tab turned to the right; if the boat wants to pull left then I reasoned that would be the direction it would need to be if there was any hope of it cancelling out that force.

If there is no change, then I may pay a visit to a welder to replace the skeg.

tashasdaddy

put the center tab back on. had one with out it, wanted to spin the wheel, and hard to steer. didn't take me long to buy one.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When the boat pulls left, turn the back of the trim tab to the left. It is somewhat counter-intuitive, but that is how they work.

The reality is that the trim tab is actually above the true water level much of the time. What the trim tab does is adjust the flow of water from the propeller, deflecting it

If you have a factory service manual, see page 6-22. Trim Tab Adjustment.

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am curious to see how this gets solved...make sure you post with your results so we can learn from your misfortune.....LOL! Thanks!

Patrick

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure your not dealing with Torque Twist? Torque Twist is the reason most boat helms are on the right side of the boat. I doubt that a slightly bent skeg is your problem.

tashasdaddy

it could be torque twist, but i think getting to dolfin off it will help. my motor had one, when it went to come out of the hole the stearn came up too fast, and was squirrelly, causing the boat to dip to one side of the other . just a light adjustment of the wheel cause the dolfin to dig in. until trimmed out. and was still squirrely.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Jason,

The more that I think of what you described,
"I noticed it pulls to the left. and "...the skeg appears slightly bent to the left when standing directly behind it.",
the more I think the bent skeg is not the problem.

I think that the trim tab was set wrong to start with and adjusting it in the wrong direction has made it incrementally worse. You may want to try moving the rear of the tab left in small increments if the centering of the tab that you have already done does not correct the problem.

And, BTW, those dolphin fins aren't usually even in the water once you are out of the hole if the motor is set up correctly.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The torque tab should be moved in the helm direction. If the boat pulls to port, move tab in small steps to port (left - looking ahead). The skeg has absolutely nothing to do with the pulling, unless it's severely twisted, not just bent, which I've never personally seen.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Exactly what I think, wilde1 which is why I said in the first place that:

"I have not been able to overcome a badly bent skeg with a trim tab."

and

" When the boat pulls left, turn the back of the trim tab to the left. It is somewhat counter-intuitive, but that is how they work."

BTW, the OMC Owner's Manuals, Service Manuals and Parts Manuals consistently use the term "trim tab", just so there will not be any confusion as to the referenced parts when J/E motors are discussed ,

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The skegs on both of my V4s are bent with no pull.

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I just got back from an extended test run. I removed the fins and quickly realized they were not the problem. The boat pulled just as hard to the left.

The only other possibility is torque twist, which is actually very likely. I noticed when my boat is on the trailer and I trim the motor all the way down, it shifts on the tilt tube. There are bushings that need to be re-inserted in there, so the only thing I can think of is the motor twists a little due to the slop, and that translates into the boat pulling.

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I just got back from an extended test run. I removed the fins and quickly realized they were not the problem. The boat pulled just as hard to the left.

The only other possibility is torque twist, which is actually very likely. I noticed when my boat is on the trailer and I trim the motor all the way down, it shifts on the tilt tube. There are bushings that need to be re-inserted in there, so the only thing I can think of is the motor twists a little due to the slop, and that translates into the boat pulling.

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry for the repeat, hit it twice by mistake.

tashasdaddy

i think you found your problem.