1973 135 HP Evinrude 135383M Question

JDWAN

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and looking for some help. I just bought a boat with the above motor and was looking for some information about it. Would someone know the proper fuel mixture for this engine, (50:1 maybe? ) or does it use gasoline only. It has 4 spark plugs so I'm not sure if it is a 4 cycle or 2 cycle engine that needs to be mixed with oil.

Also could someone tell me the correct spark plugs and gap to use.

I haven't actually got to run the boat yet, but the man I bought it from said it runs good? He didn't know anything about specific information because he was selling it for his son. I may need more help as time goes by if your willing to help. Thanks everyone

Walker

Captain
Re: 1973 135 HP Evinrude 135383M Question

Number one thing on your "To-Do' list is to get a shop manual for your motor.
Your motor is a 4cylinder, 2 stroke motor.
Correct gas/oil mixture is 50/1
Spark plug you want is Champion L77JC4, or if you have any electronic on the boat like a radio, fishfinder use QL77JC4

reeldutch

Lieutenant

find yourself a mechanic and get the motor checked out.

probbebly you want to get the motor running so you dont have to
tinker with it,
get compression and spark tested if thats ok :
install new water pump, thermostats,headgaskets,waterflow deflectors, get carbs cleaned, timing checked, lowerunit vacuum and pressure tested.
if that all is ok and done you should not have to wurrie about maintenence for a while. and you know its good.

or trust the guy you bought it from that this is all been done.
if so he might have some receipts?

if you want to do this all yourself first get yourself a OMC manual. (not the clymers)
and ask a lot of questions at this board.
there is always somebody who can help you.

is the motor used in saltwater?

JDWAN

Cadet

Hello Walker,
Thank you for the information. Wow that was a super fast response!! Thanks again, Have a good day,
J

JDWAN

Cadet

Hello Reeldutch,
Thanks so much for the information. I haven't got to run the boat yet so I am taking the man at his word that it is running good. As far as I know, this has never been ran in saltwater. You are right, it probably is a good idea to go ahead and have a mechanic look at it and do some pre maintenance to ensure that it is in good running condition. Do you know about how much the standard tune up usually runs on these engines? Thanks for your help.
J

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Welcome,It appears you may not be too mechanically inclined so you may need a good marine mechanic or a friend that is good with motors.Ask around at the launch ramp or marine store sometimes word of mouth is a good way to find a good mechanic.Unfortunately there a lots that aren't that great.your motor is a 4 cylinder 2 stroke and uses a 50:1 (16ozs to 6 hgallons)fuel mix use TCW3 rated oil available at most any dept. store marina Wal Mart etc.It uses a UL77V plug. It is a surface gap,no gap to set.Some folks change to a regular plug.
I'm sure they will be along with their suggestion. If your new to boating you should take a safe boating course.Read up here about lower unit lube change waking up a sleeping motor etc.If you don't know the age of the impeller(water pump) you should have it changed.An overheated motor can be terminal.Any questions at all be sure to ask us.There are no stupid questions.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the parts are not so expensive.

all these things i was talking about you can buy them for less then 120 dollars.
it depents on what the needs of the motor are.
if i recall correctly this motor has the bubble back design.
to change the tstats is a pain in the a..
some mechs dont even want to do it .

the waterpump should be a easy job, depending if the lowerunit drops.

rebuilding the carbs is not that hard but they might charge you a lot.
link and sync needs to be done after carbjob.
set the idle and wot timing.

you might be looking at between 300 and 500 dollars.

but if you have a good mechanic perform these things, you will know its good.

im shure its running.
the question is does it run the way it should?

do yourself a favour and look for e good mechanic who wants to work on it.

where are you located may be we know somebody around your neighbourhood

good luck

JDWAN

Cadet

Hello Steelespike and Reeldutch,
Thanks so much for the valuable information. I am located in Stanford, Ky. I've checked a couple of marine shops around but the oldest motor they will work on are 80's models. I wouldn't think that the 70's models would have been that much different? I will look around though and see if I can find someone in the neighborhood. Thanks again for all your help.

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cant hurt to get a manual and maybe try to do some work on her yourself. I just got my first boat and have been reading the forum and asking questions... have learned so MUCH in just a week!

I am doing all the work myself. The way I am looking at it is... "If it can be broke... it can be fixed!" If I break it and cant fix it which I shouldn't have an issue with... then ill take it lol.