01 Evinrude 250 HP FICHT RAM

DUKE1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just wanted to get a idea what the group knew about the above model of Evinrude. Would this be an OMC or a BRP engine? Did they have the FICHT system figured out by 01? I read that the problem was with the 150 to 175 powerheads and didn't include the 250...is this correct. You can find some pretty good deals on these motors...I'm just wondering if there worth their weight and expense.

Thanks,
Duke1

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 01 Evinrude 250 HP FICHT RAM

The 2001 models were built by OMC, Bombardier started production on the 2002 and later ones.

Like any 6 year old used item, have it checked over thoroughly by a trained tech and all the maintenance items done. If it has low hours, it probably was neglected and not "winterized" for long term storage.

The '01's were good motors, but since you do not know the motor's history make allowances for needed repairs.

DUKE1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Seahorse,

This says that it's a new one, and looks to have been a floor model that never sold, and a one year warranty remains. What do you think....do motors like this just not get sold some times? As far as the updates some folks mention about the FICHT's..would an 01 already have them done?

Thanks,
Duke 1

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

That motor had a 2 year warranty when new. Did someone register it and use it? If it is brand new, never registered or put into service, it should get 2 years of warranty.

DUKE1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So...this is a good motor (if it checks out) and would be worth picking up? What do you think about price? New but an 01 model. It looks like there still using the looper block in 01 just with more electronics on it.

If anyone has one or has had experience with one...I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks,
Duke1

wernerheymann

Recruit

I have two of these motors and would never buy one again. I have a problem with one of the motors turning off and they can't seem to fix. Spent over $3000.00 and the motor still won't work. OMC or BRP are both companies I wouldn't trust. Look else where for a better motor.

Patout

Recruit

I also have a pair ,the port motor will not run :confused:

Patout

Recruit

Wernerheymann,
Do you still have the FICHTS?
Maybe we can work together and come up with one boat and 2 motors
that run.
Thanx. Patout