1974 50HP Evinrude Model#50473 Power Tilt/Trim not working properly

mstone1968

Seaman
Hello Everyone,
Can anyone please help me with Power Tilt /Trim not working properly. I checked and made sure the battery is fully charged and all wires are hooked up properly. When you press the switch, you can hear the motor running but it doesn't move the Motor up or down. After a couple of seconds, the motor stops making a sound and pressing the button doesn't do anything at all. If you let it set a few seconds and try again, It's the same outcome. If you press the button and have someone manually lifting the motor, sometimes it will start to lift motor for a short period. Would anyone have any ideas on where to start diagnosing the problem. I don't know much at all about the mechanics of power tilt/trim. Could the cylinders be low on fluid or something like that? Please forgive me if this is a dumb question. Thanks for any advise.

D

DJ

Re: 1974 50HP Evinrude Model#50473 Power Tilt/Trim not working properly

You are probably low on fluid.

There is a large slotted head screw on the motor/pump assembly. That is the large cylindrical shaped object off to the right side.

Remove that screw and fill the unit with tilt/trim fluid (available at most marine stores and John/Rude dealers).

Once done, cycle the unit up and down. You may have to do this several times.

If you can, fill the unit with the engine lifted all the way up. That will shorten the process. You should be able to lift it manually with the manual release screw slightly opened. If I remember right, both those are labeled.

mstone1968

Seaman

Hello DWJ,
Thank you so much for the fast response and the information. I will buy some tilt/trim fluid today and try that out. I hope that will fix it. I have had nothing but trouble with this boat since I bought it. I think we finally have the motor figured out and running now, then all the sudden the power tilt/trim stopped working. Seems like when I get one thing working something different stops working. I really appreciate the help. Thanks so much.

mstone1968

Seaman

Hello DWJ,
I just went to the local marine shop and asked for tilt/trim fluid for this motor. He told me to use Automatic Transmission fluid?? Is this ok to do. I asked him if he had tilt/trim fluid and he told me they don't sell it?? Just wanted to be sure it is ok to use and not make any problems worse. Thanks for you help.

Dryespo

Recruit

I also had the same question...
I have a 94 Evinrude 175..

Need to top it off, None at the local Marina.. I have been told to use ATF and SAE 30?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Lots of companies have a product labeled "Marine grade" in T&T Fluid, including Pennzoil and every major outboard manufacturer. The local One Stop Oil Change people even have the Pennzoil product where I live.

They all say that they have more additives for corrosion resistance than regular fluid.

The Seloc manuals say to use only OMC or GM Dexron.

The OMC product was labeled "POWER TRIM / TILT & STEERING FLUID"

Extra credit: http://www.outboardmotor.biz/tilt/

Dryespo

Recruit

Thanks

D

DJ

mstone,

Check with a John/Rude dealer.

I've seen tilt/trim fluid at Wal Mart.

BTW, I have a 1975-50 HP. I am very familiar with those engines Mine has power tilt only. It is basically half your system.

mstone1968

Seaman

Thank you Ezeke and DWJ for the information. I bought some fluid and getting ready to install it. I located the large flat head screw on the motor assembly. There is one on the side and one on the front bottom. I guess I need to use the one on the top? Is that right? I was told to be careful putting the fluid in and avoid allowing air to get in. Is there a certain procedure I need to follow?

Also one more question if you don't mind. I couldn't find the manual release screw in order to manually move the motor up and down. Could you point me in the right direction on that. Thank you guys so much for all your help. Mike

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mstone....there was two different pumps/reservoirs that year....one was made by Calco and the other from Prestolite.

Difference most noticable was on the reservoir. The Prestolite reservoir had four "fins" protruding from it while the Calco did not.

Now.....the Prestolite reservoir and pump had a manual release on it. It was at the bottom of the reservoir on the pump. It's an elongated slot head made for a large screw driver. It was marked on "MANUAL RELEASE" around it. Look at the bottom of the reservoir and it should be pointing aft.

I cannot find a manual release on the Calco pumps.

One more way to spot the difference, on the Calco motors, the electical leads came out of the top of the motor while the Prestolite motors had the leads coming out the side near the top.

mstone1968

Seaman

Thanks for the information OBJ and to all that have posted. It looks like I have the one made by Calco because the leads do come out of the top of the tilt/trim motor and there are no fins.

When pressing the button and someone manually lifting the motor at the same time, the motor will raise and lower with someone helping. But pushing the button alone, the motor just runs and only moves the motor about and inch or so then you can hear the motor running then stops. If you wait a second or two, if you push the button you can hear it trying to move but nothing happens then it stops again. The tilt/trim worked fine when I bought the boat. Then suddenly started doing this? I am hoping it is just needing fluid.

D

DJ

Your symptoms are classic signs of a being low on fluid.

I believe you want the screw on the side.

mstone1968

Seaman

Hello everyone,
I found the tilt/ trim fluid and filled it up by using the slotted screw on the right side of pump. I filled it until it started to come back out, then replaced screw. I had the motor as far up in the Up positiion as possible when I filled it. The motor definitely works better now. It will almost go all the way down without stopping. It will go 1/2 to 1/3 way up then motor stops. About 3 seconds later you hear a little click, once the click sounds, you can press the button and it will start again. I done this process for about 30 minutes or so and it still does this. Is this normal? Do I just need to keep cycling it up and down. sometimes the motor will stop on the way down also, but most of the time it is only on the way up. However, it is still a great deal of improvement from before. Is the Clicking sound normal after the motor stops? Thanks again for everyone's help.
Mike