1950-51 5hp Johnson carb parts?

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a decent 1950-51 5hp Johnson motor that i've trying to find a carb rebuild kit for. In addition to that I also need to find where I can get an actual float for the carb since the main problem with the motor is that the float has begun to disintegrate. It still starts and runs good, it's just that gas will spill out of every orifice on the carb because there's no float left to meter the gas. Ugg.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to a supplier, it would be appreciated.

THX.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1950-51 5hp Johnson carb parts?

There is a guy over at the antique outboard motor club that is making reproduction primer cups if you need them. www.aomci.org

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I got him covered..I have carbs and more..in contact

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I finally got around to messing with this motor.

I had gotten replacement carb from another member, but unfortunately it didn't do the trick either. So I completely disassembled and rebuilt both carbs using the recommended cross referenced Mercury floats (I think I got the info from another thread on this subject) and that did the trick. Now I have two functioning carbs for this motor.

If anyone wants the part number from the float package or the how to in order to make it work, Just message me. It's really quite easy to do.

Now I have more questions. So here goes:

First is carb settings. There is a set screw that looks like it might be a mixture screw located on the side of the carb. Is this indeed a mixture screw and what would be the proper setting if it is. Second, there is also a mixture screw that resembles more of a lever attached to the fuel line that runs up from the carb to the upper of the two cylinders. To simplify my questions; how do these two mixture settings work in conjunction with each other and the lean / rich setting of the primer pump? And how do I set this all up properly to run relatively hassle free?

I'm not a complete noobie to carburation, I am an ASE master mechanic with over 15 years experience. I'm just not that experienced with boat motors and especially ANCIENT boat motors. So any help would certainly be appreciated. I can get the motor to start and run now after fixing the carbs, I just can't seem to get these settings down properly to smooth it out and give me that sense of enough reliability to trust it out in Lake St.Clair or the Detroit River.

Which brings me to my other question and this might be having an effect on my ability to get the carb fully tuned anyways:
Is it possible to get a set of coils for this motor still? Both of the coils are cracked badly. I saw another post about coils but it was for different years and Hp's.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Cracked Coils! That is why you can't get it adjusted. It will never run right till you replace those things. It is extremely common on old OMCs. They sell them right here at iboats. There are actually 3 types used on those old 5hp motors, but the word "cracked" just about tells which ones you have, the ones iboats sells. http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/crackedCoils.jpg?t=1178196002

The primer wheel adjusts the high speed mixture and the little lever on the rotary valve in front adjusts the idle mixture. Normal opening for that one is right around 5/8 turn. Adjust for best idle.

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks _F_R

Yep that's what they look like alright.
It actually runs pretty decent in spite of the condition of the coils.
Have to get back to you about that adjustment after installing the coils.
Thanks for the tip on that as well.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

This is good info as I have the same engine and have yet to try and start it... but I'm sure I will have similar issues :)

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay next question.

Anyone know how to properly set the timing on this motor?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing to set except the breaker point gap. Set to .020" when open at their widest point. (rotate the shaft and do the other set)

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm afraid there is no such thing. But that doesn't mean you can't rebuild it with a little ingenuity. You'll have to cut your own gaskets if the ones you have are bad. But the float can be made from a Mercury one. You just have to drill out the center so it's wider.

Have a look here:
http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=28;gtid=730195;gpid=730196#gpid730196

Can anyone find the thread that was linked to here. It seems to have disappeared and it contained the mercury part number for the floats need to fix theses carbs. The mercury float does work like a charm. The center hole in the new float needs to be enlarged ever so slightly for it to work, but it will work.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Mercury #1395-8983, Sierra Marine #18-7208. iboats sells Sierra.