1942 Evinrude Sportsman Starting problems

omegajosh

Recruit
I acquired this beautiful motor recently and I am attempting to get it to run. Ive cleaned out the carb and the tank and installed a fresh plug. The motor turns over easily and feels like it has good compression. It even has decent spark! Unfortunatly I dont have any idea where the levers and knobs need to be in order to start it up. Ive googled the heck out of it and havent found any answers yet. If anyone is knowledgable with this motor I would appreciate some help! This would be the most awesome kicker/troller for my 64 Cruizon.
nullhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2356233

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1942 Evinrude Sportsman Starting problems

Great little motor I had my first boat at 6 years old with an older version of your motor unfortunately I don't remember the starting procedure.It's been 56 years.
I think your best bet is at The Antique Outboard Motor club www.aomci.org.In the mean time speaking generically some old motors have a little pin on top of the float that you tickle to prime the carb.On some you turn the high speed knob way over toward a start/rich position.Some motors don't have an actual choke butterfly.advance the spark lever to about 2/3 to 3/4 position.
Keep in mind the original fuel mix was 16:1, 8 ozs per gallon.Most likely the aomci can tell you if you can go leaner with modern oils.
I actually towed a 36 ft cruiser with my little boat though the owner helped me a little.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

glad to see you kept the Cruizon. beautiful boat.

knockonwood

Recruit

also run a Cruizon with a large v-8 . hope someone has any info on these skiboats please !!!

Attachments

• woody2.jpg
    woody2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0