2000 Johnson 90HP Blown Engine Fuse 20Amp

ibuyre111

Seaman Apprentice
I keep blowing the 20 amp fuse that is is located on my engine under the cover. This fuse knocks out all my engine guages/ tach/ fuel/ etc. Also the engine tilt is shut down. The engine runs but once shut down it wont start again until i replace the fuse. Any suggestions?
Tom

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Johnson 90HP Blown Engine Fuse 20Amp

I honestly don't know the answer, but just wondering out loud, is the tilt supposed to go through that fuse? And if so, could there be a heavy load on the tilt motor caused by mechanical stiffness or binding somewhere? Loading an electric motor causes it to draw more amps.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

u have a short on your stater solenoid somewhere

Walker

Captain

You do have a short somewhere. Where is anybodies guess. Have you done any work on the motor or guages lately?

ibuyre111

Seaman Apprentice

F_R said:
I honestly don't know the answer, but just wondering out loud, is the tilt supposed to go through that fuse? And if so, could there be a heavy load on the tilt motor caused by mechanical stiffness or binding somewhere? Loading an electric motor causes it to draw more amps.

ibuyre111

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your response . The fuse also goes thru the ignition. My friend said to change the ignition because he once had this problem. I have since changed the fuse and tightened the nuts behind all the guages and it now works fine. Hopefully its solved but I always have a supply of fuses with me
Thanks Tom

ibuyre111

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your response but I have to ask what makes you so sure it is the stater? The fuse goes thru the ignition switch and protects all the guages. I had this problem earlier in the season and tightened all the guage connections and never had a problem till now.
Tom

ibuyre111

Seaman Apprentice

Walker said:
You do have a short somewhere. Where is anybodies guess. Have you done any work on the motor or guages lately?

ibuyre111

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your response. I agree that I have a short somewhere. I havn't done any work on my guages but do stuff my console cover in the console and might have disturbed the wires. I tightened the wires connected to the guages and it has worked since
Thanks again Tom

JUSTINTIME

Captain

ibuyre111 said:
Thanks for your response but I have to ask what makes you so sure it is the stater? The fuse goes thru the ignition switch and protects all the guages. I had this problem earlier in the season and tightened all the guage connections and never had a problem till now.
Tom

most engines the 12v power comes off the starter solenoid, so check around there

Big Croy

Recruit

i have a 1995 johnson faststrike 175 , i bought used i got a new wiring harness withthe red plug and hooked everything up myself the engine runs great but keeps blowing fuses while i am running on step at about 5500 rpms after about 10 mins my tach goes out i know that the fuse is blown ,engine still runs but have to replace fuse to start back up after shutdown please help the machanic cant find a problem all controls are new checked wires at control box everything looks good and insulated

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I just bumped my post on the 20 amp starter fuse; maybe it will help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the fuse blows the instant after the motor starts, there may be a short in the ign accessory wire. On your motor it is likely purple. I would look for melted wires under the dash, where the purple wire powers the tach, gas gauge, voltmeter etc. The other place to look for melted wires is on the engine.