1963 Evinrude Speedifour 75hp ignition?

This is my first post!

I am in the process of rebuilding this 63 Evinrude Speedifour I found on my property. This is only my second outboard to work on, I mostly stick with the jetskis. I

m not getting any spark, so when I knew I had to redo the points it made me think, I wonder if they have the products to replace the points on boat motors like they do on Cars. Sure enough they do, but the only one I could find was for a 2 cylinder model.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...090421614&session_id=482886675&view_id=172124

My question is that I have dual points on my 4 cylinder speedifour 75hp. I was wondering if I could use this product on my engine, since I have dual points also even though it says 2 cylinder?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Evinrude Speedifour 75hp ignition?

No, the 4 cylinder is different. The OEM number for the points is 580290. Condenser is 580256. Don't know if iboats has them or not.

Ok cool thanks, it was worth a shot.

Im just not a big fan of points after having problems with them on my pinto, but I guess then again maybe the car had something to do with it also lol.

Iboats has a tune up kit that has the points and such, but they dont have the coil or a cap and rotor, but the site that btashasdaddy gave me does, so that helps alot.

Thanks guys

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

points on an outboard are far better than a pinto, after all it was name after a BEAN not a horse!!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Boat motors get run a LOT less than cars, so points last a LOT longer, plus cheap...do it

Ok sounds good, I already got the the tools to gap them and such so that is good. I need to call the place tomorrow and see if they have the cap and rotor for my engine. Then I will be set with the parts, then comes the working on it.

I am having trouble finding a timing belt, could anyone point me in the right direction?