1989 Evinrude 200 VRO - Starting Problems

milsomj

Cadet
This motor runs great, when it's running and it will only run if I start it Every Day. By starting it every day, I pump the primer 5 times and it's off in a half a spin.

But, if I let it sit for three days or more... it may take 30 minutes to get it to spit once and another hour to get it to start.

It appears to have spark and fuel.
I replaced the powerpack last year.
Two good batteries, spin it real strong.
When running, it charges at about 14.5 volts

Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks !

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 200 VRO - Starting Problems

2 questions (for now) --

What spark plugs are you using?

Are you pumping the bulb until it's firm before you try to start it?

milsomj

Cadet

Dhadley said:
2 questions (for now) --

What spark plugs are you using?
[colour=Blue]CHAMPION L77JC4 (two seasons on them)[/colour]

Are you pumping the bulb until it's firm before you try to start it?
[colour=Blue]Yes, pumped and firm (after many starting attempts, it needs another squeeze)[/colour]

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You don't say if you're pushing the key in (engaging the fuel primer solenoid) when starting the engine (look upon this solenoid as a electric choke).

If you're overlooking this step..... fuel primer bulb hard, key turned to the start position, key pushed in until the engine fires..... it would surprise me if the engine ever started. Is this the case?

milsomj

Cadet

Yes... pushing the key in to prime.
Guess I should give the details of exactly how I'm going about this and the results.

1. Battery switch on "All". Two very good batteries kept topped off.
2. Squeeze bulb until firm
3. Using key primer (I've tried this two ways... turn key on position and press key in 10 times [can hear primer click at engine] then turn to start. Also have tried pressing key in at the same time as turning the engine over) there doesn't seem to be much difference.

If I haven't started it in 3 or more days,,, If I'm lucky,, after many tries it may kick one time,,, then the starter disengages. As I keep trying it will eventually sputter a little more each time until it starts... then may run on 3-4 cylinders for a minute or so. Also, by that time… a lot of smoke

On the other hand... if I go down each night after work and start it... every night, it will start right up,,, running on all six, no problem.

Tonight (it's been 2 days) it won't even kick one cylinder once. I left it and will try again tomorrow morning.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Proper sequence.....

1 - Pump fuel primer bulb until hard.

2 - If the fast start feature is enabled, leave throttle in idle position. If not enabled, apply a slight bit of throttle, just enough to take throttle butterflies off idle position.

3 - Turn key to start position and hold key in until engine fires (approximately 6 revolutions).

Just to check to see if the primer solenoid might have a weird malfunction in the start position.....

Remove the carburetor face plate. Remove the wire from the starter solenoid that energizes that solenoid. Have the primer bulb pumped up hard. Remove one of the small primer hoses leading from the primer solenoid to the intake manifold "AT" the intake manifold. Turn the key to the start position & hold it there (the engine should not crank over with the wire removed from the starter solenoid). Push the key in.

At that point, fuel should have shot out of that small hose. Did it?

milsomj

Cadet

Thanks, I will execute that check today.

Now, it wouldn't kick last night so I just left the engine in the water and went down this morning. Pumped the bulb (didn't take much) and pushed the key in while turning. It started after two attempts and ran on all 6 cylinders.

A "dock advisor" suggested that the valves were gummed up after it sat for a few days... another suggested that it had poor compression and that was the issue. Far reaching????

milsomj

Cadet

OK, the primer solenoid appears to be working, with fuel delivered when the Key is pushed in. Also, I ran all the fuel out this past weekend and put in 35 fresh gallons.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

milsomj said:
Thanks, I will execute that check today.

Now, it wouldn't kick last night so I just left the engine in the water and went down this morning. Pumped the bulb (didn't take much) and pushed the key in while turning. It started after two attempts and ran on all 6 cylinders.

A "dock advisor" suggested that the valves were gummed up after it sat for a few days... another suggested that it had poor compression and that was the issue. Far reaching????

What valves? It's a 2 stroke motor (no valves here). Poor compression isn't too likely, but easy to check with a compression tester. If everything's working, it may have been starting technique.

I would find a new "dock advisor".

BTW, after the motor first fires, you may need to bump the primer a few times to keep it going.

milsomj

Cadet

I think he may have been referrig to "reed valves". That's true about bumping the primer to keep it going for the first 15 seconds or so. Seems like I'm at a dead end, don't know what else could be the problem. Thanks for your input. - Jim

milsomj

Cadet

This may narrow it down a bit. I've found that if the engine won't start and I let it sit for 3 hours or to the next morning, then it will start. I also see oil driping from the carb air silencer cover.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You may want to consider replacing the recirculation check valves sometime soon.

springerm1

Recruit

Did anyone ever come up with an answer to this problem? I have the exact same problem that I have been fighting for a year now and cannot figure it out! What I can add is that if I leave my motor down it will always start. If tillted up it won't. so if I know I am going to use the boat the next day I will go to the boat and put that motor down and then the next day it will start.If I don't it will take me over a half hour to get going. Once started it will run and start all day long.Everything in the previous post I have checked and I have replaced the power pack,stator,reset all the maginets on the flywheel.without any change to the situation. Any help would be great!

shaeleblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am having a similar problem with my 1996 175 ocean pro i swapped the motor on to a new boat and it was doing this on my old boat we replaced the power pack, plugs cleaned all the carbs and all. it use to start no problem and then it started with the thing of having to pull the cover off and manuel choking the carb with my hand to get it to pop over 1 time then it takes a good while to get her to run good and it would smoke alot. also the bulb is pumped hard. and i am pushing the key when i turn it over is all good and will run like a champ, if i let it sit a couple days it does the same thing.

rednekbowfisher

Seaman Apprentice

im having the same problems with my 135 havnt found a fix yet

jonesg

Admiral

first do a compression test on all holes so we know what we're dealing with.
A seriously carboned engine with stuck piston rings will be a hard starter and soon a permanently none runner (snap!).

Then a spark gap test, buy the compression guage and spark gap tester at any auto part store, for short money.
Spark should jump almost 1/2inch gap with the other plugs out and grounded.

If it passes those tests then look at fuel delivery.
With a hard starting engine I spray a bit of fuel into each cylinder, if it fires on that prime then test the primer (does it click when keyed) does it actually pass fuel when keyed?,

and if you don't know when the carbs were rebuilt order rebuild kits and rebuild them. $22 ea.

If you get it running make certain its running on all cyl's , its too easy to burn a piston because one carb is clogged.

Get the service manual, there are certain things that must be done to a 2 stroke engine or you risk breaking piston rings and burning up pistons in short order. They MUST be maintained. The work has to be done.
The factory manual spells it all out, best bang for your buck in boating.
www.outboardbooks.com