48 hp johnson

ClickerCrazy

Cadet
hi guys. Ok, I replaced the power pack because I wasn't getting a good spark. Now the motor will run, but it doesn't have good spark to the top spark plug. It goes from running on two cylinders to running on one. I am getting spark on the top plug, but it is very week. Stators look fine, no black stuff.
Could it be the coil?

another thing that happened after i changed the powerpack is that the ignition swithch will not turn off the motor anymore.

I'm lost and about out of money for the year, so any suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 48 hp johnson

Regarding no shut off with key-when you hooked up the new power pack one of the wires (black w/yellow) goes to the key switch to shut off motor. Check to see if you have a good connection where this wires plugs into rubber connector. Regarding weak spark: If this motor has 2 separate coils it's easy to switch them to check if one is bad .

ClickerCrazy

Cadet

My boat only has one coil, so i can't switch them out.

I'll try the wire for my switch though.

Any more thoughts on the coil?

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You tried a new spark plug right? Also you can switch the heavy secondary wires going from the coil to the spark plugs to see if one of these wires might be bad. If all of that checks out then you can still check the coil like this. Allthough this coil is one unit, it is actually 2 separate coils and you can treat it as such. Reverse all the wires going to and from the coil. In other words, put the brown with blue primary onto the bottom part of coil and the brown with green primary onto the top part. Then switch the secondary wires going to the spark plugs. In other words, put the top coil secondary wire onto the bottom spark plug, and the bottom secondary coil wire onto the top spark plug. Now the timing of spark will remain correct in this manner so the motor should run. If the weak spark is now on the bottom spark plug, then the coil is the problem. If instead the problem is now on the top spark plug then the problem is not the coil, but something upstream in the ignition system-that being the ignition module.