200HP etec EVINRUDE 2005

pons

Cadet
We discovered after 120 Hors running, the spark plugs has to be changed, this bug has been recognized by Evinrude, also some deflectors has to be put in place in order to increase spark plugs living time.
Question : Do you know if to put in place those deflectors is a hard sophisticate job ???
Thanks for your help ?

bajadude

Cadet
Re: 200HP etec EVINRUDE 2005

pons said:
We discovered after 120 Hors running, the spark plugs has to be changed, this bug has been recognized by Evinrude, also some deflectors has to be put in place in order to increase spark plugs living time.
Question : Do you know if to put in place those deflectors is a hard sophisticate job ???
Thanks for your help ?

Deflectors?- don't even know what they are. But I am very interested as I am considering purchase of a 2007 E Tech 250. Has Evinrude issued a service bulletin describing this problem and it's fix?:%

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess they mean the water deflectors which are pencil shaped (except they're not as long as a pencil) pieces of rubber in the cylinder block outside the cylinders. You have to remove the cylinder heads to replace them but after the heads are off they're very easy to replace-just grab with needle nose pliers and pull them out-stick the new ones in by hand.They help direct the flow of water around the cylinders.

pons

Cadet

lorin said:
I guess they mean the water deflectors which are pencil shaped (except they're not as long as a pencil) pieces of rubber in the cylinder block outside the cylinders. You have to remove the cylinder heads to replace them but after the heads are off they're very easy to replace-just grab with needle nose pliers and pull them out-stick the new ones in by hand.They help direct the flow of water around the cylinders.

pons

Cadet

No, this has nothing to do with water, only sparks (electricity) to fire correctly the cylinder...i think this deflector will direct the spark correctly to the cylinder.
To answer the other question, yes this engeniering change is recommanded by Evinrude but no mandatory, since i'm France i'm not trusting any maintenance technical person... the best is coming from the producer i guess...But if you have more information i will aprreciate for your help. My first name is Rene ( a guy)...
Have a good day.

pons

Cadet

Lorin, Evinrude did announce this engine will not need specific maintenance during 300 hours... but in fact after 120 hours my engine was runnig off when switch it back in forth, the conclusion was spark plugs has to be changed... the engine then went perfect....then i discover this story with deflectors. Please ask to your dealer this question and we see then...

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've learned these things are called deflector pins. I have a pdf file which describes them but dont know how to post it here. Here is a quote from the pdf.
"In the evolution process of the Ficht technology, the OMC engineers discovered they could minimize the build up of soot which occurred on some engines by adding a “deflector pin” in the combustion chamber. This pin is placed between the fuel injector and the spark plug electrode and it helps to keep the spark plugs cleaner, longer and allows the engines to run better. "
I can email the whole pdf to you if you give me your address or maybe someone can tell me how to post the pdf here. I don't have a url for the pdf. It has a photo of the pin inside the cylinder. It looks like a major project to install as it looks like you have to drill a hole through the cylinder head to install it and of course, you must do this on all cylinders.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

pons said:
Thanks for your help ?

The deflector pin kit contains new pins that are slightly longer than the original pins that came in the motor. Replacement is easy and the special removal tool comes with the kit and well as instructions. Your dealer should also order the Champion QC10WEP plugs which are the platinum-iridium construction that replace the original QC10PEPb plugs.

I don't know how it works in France, but in the USA, an authorized dealer installs the pin kit and new plugs under warranty and it doesn't cost anything.

Also the temperature profile should be checked on the computer report printout to see if a pressure relief valve should be changed. This is also in a service bulletin.

Hope this helps you out.

pons

Cadet

seahorse5 said:
pons said:
Thanks for your help ?

The deflector pin kit contains new pins that are slightly longer than the original pins that came in the motor. Replacement is easy and the special removal tool comes with the kit and well as instructions. Your dealer should also order the Champion QC10WEP plugs which are the platinum-iridium construction that replace the original QC10PEPb plugs.

I don't know how it works in France, but in the USA, an authorized dealer installs the pin kit and new plugs under warranty and it doesn't cost anything.

Also the temperature profile should be checked on the computer report printout to see if a pressure relief valve should be changed. This is also in a service bulletin.

Hope this helps you out.