Starter pinion Gear on 1989 Evinrude 88 horsepower motor

Bobby Autry

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the starter motor pinion gear on a 1989 Evinrude 88 horsepower V-4 out board model# E88MSLCER. I recently changed out my starter pnion gear on my outboard because it was hanging up into the flywheel and looked pretty chewed up. Well I was doing some brainstorming and noticed that on the old gear that was removed that it is made up of 2 pieces. So what I did was put a pair of vise scripts on the gear side and put a pair of adjustable wrench on the nut side of that old worn out starter pinion gear and see if it would turn. Yes it did and pretty easily. But if I remove those tools from the gear and try to turn it by my fingers using both of my hands I cannot turn them. What I want to know if those 2 pieces that are made to one another on that starter pinion gear is suppose to turn with wrenches being used and pretty easily. I am thinking maybe that was a major reason the gear gets hung up into the flywheel and caused it to get pretty chewed up. What do you the experts think?