1995 Evinrude 200 Vindicator Lower Unit Reseal

akita8

Cadet
I was changing the LU oil today and had a lot of water come out when I drained it. I pulled the prop and found some fireline rapped around the shaft by the seal. I pulled the line out and flushed the gearcase out with diesel and ran air through it for about 12/ hour and reserved it. Im' going to try it tomorrow and drain again and check for water. How hard is it to reseal the LU, especially the seal by the proppeller?

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 Evinrude 200 Vindicator Lower Unit Reseal

The prop shaft housing seals are not difficult to install. If you dont have the special tools, the major challenge is removing the prop shaft housing from the gearcase (the spec. tool is a puller) and removing the old seals (a different puller). There is also a large o-ring on the prop shaft housing which is very easy to install.

akita8

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try and reseal it myself.

akita8

Cadet

I resealed the lower unit and it was still leaking so I removed it again and did a pressure and it was leaking from the main shaft seal. I inspected the bearing and shaft and they looked good.

According to the manual there is 2 different configurations on the seals. One has a single seal and the other configuration is two seals installed back to back. Mine had the single seal configuration. I changed it out with the single seal that came in the kit and this is the one that was leaking.

I removed the single seal and installed the double seals that came in the kit and it pressure checked good. Does anybody now if this is acceptable?

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would say it is acceptable. The logic behind the back to back seal arrangement is the outer seal prevents water from entering the gearcase and the inner seal prevents gear oil from leaving the gearcase. The outer seal lips should face out and the inner seal lips face in. I dont know when the "one seal" plan came into being, but for many years all OMC motors (or at least the ones 10hp and above) always used double back to back seals.