6hp johnson tune-up

duckrock

Recruit
I have a 6hp Johnson. Think it is 60s model. It sat for years then somethime in the 80s my grandfather change plugs and oil and greased it up. Thing started and ran great for me. Well it has been sitting for years again. I want to run thru the same tune-up but have some questions.
1. I see the drain for lower end unit. But where does it get filled at?
2. Gap on spark plugs?
3. Any idea what the oil mixture is?

Thanks for any help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 6hp johnson tune-up

plug are Champion J4C, gapped at .030 drain lower unit and turn upside down and fill, turning the prop to get air out. go to the engine faq forum and read Awakening a sleeping outboard. 1st is to change the impeller, even if it was done last time. they dry out and will come apart, and clog cooling ports.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It ought to be 50:1 w/ 87 octane gas and TC-W3 outboard oil. Provide a model number and we should be able to tell you for sure. Check out the oil mix FAQ in the FAQ forums for details.
J6C is the better plug for that engine. I'm sure that's just a slip up above.
Gearcase fills like a normal outboard. With the engine in the normal upright postion and a bucket under it, remove the drain plug and the vent plug on the side of the lower unit. Very important - these two plugs should take a slot screwdriver, not a phillips. Then once it's drained you fill the case from the bottom until it comes out the vent hole. Lower unit oil is sold in squeeze bottles so you can do this, but I prefer to use a cheap lower unit oil pump since it's far less messy. After the oil runs out the vent hole, you replace the vent plug then quickly remove the oil bottle (or pump) and replace the bottom drain plug. New seals on both should be used. The 6hp ought to take on 8.5oz. Turning the prop is a very good idea but that other method is slow and doesn't trap the right amount of air.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

not to dispute you, Paul, you have far more experience than me, but the J4J replaced by j4C was taken from my manual. you right on the vent and drain, thinking of another engine.