70 hp johnson fuse problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Y

Recruit
I just had one of the magnetos replaced on my older 70hp and now I am blowing the small fuse in the starter circuit. someone suggested that this might be a problem with the starter solenoid. any ideas?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 70 hp johnson fuse problem

The starter doesn't pull current through the main engine fuse but the solenoid does. Check the connections on the solenoid and the solenoid ground. Be sure the fuse is the right size.

Rick Y

Recruit

One thing I didnt mention was that it has started fine, but the next time I started it, the fuse was blown. Could it be blowing when I shut the engine down, and be a problem with the ignition switch?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The fuse supplies 12 volts to the ignition switch. From there, it's used to choke, energize the starter solenoid and what ever accessories you might have being powered from the ignition switchs' accessory terminal. If that fuse is blowing, theres a problem with the above.....or the ignition switch is faulting which doesn't happen often but is still possible.

Gary6124

Recruit
I have a similar problem my Johnson 70 hp keeps blowing the main fuse after I’m in the water going for about 20 or so minutes can anyone help me

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a similar problem my Johnson 70 hp keeps blowing the main fuse after I’m in the water going for about 20 or so minutes can anyone help me

Please start a new thread of your own. Posting in 12 year old threads seldom gets help or results.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.