johnson 1962 5.5 changing water pump impeller

hwkypuck

Cadet
Re: johnson 1962 5.5 changing water pump impeller

There are no problems just solutions, read the manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2dogsnight

Cadet

glad to find this thread....have 62 CD-19S and need to replace water pump....would like to find Johnson owner in Seattle area
mail.jpg

2dogsnight

Cadet

Thank you Crosbyman!

This is a big help!!...waiting for Johnson manual/parts list....got impeller from NAPA for $19.96......would like to check lower part for oil leaks - must need some rubber seal...printed the article from link you send me ( great help).....when I get the parts list, I will be ready to go trough the motor......can't wait to see if I can get 3' extension for the throttle handle

thank you again !

2dogsnight

Cadet

turned out that NAPA 18-3001 that supposed to replace 277181 - DOS NOT do that......old impeller is way smaller in diameter and thicker.....what to do now???
Have too go trough some catalogs and see what is out there....looks like I could use new impeller housing, as the old one is crecked.....impeller is not totally broken into pieces but cracked in many places......and I supposed to replace "plate" with new impeller too....the whole inside of the impellere housing has lots of crap too....not sure if this is any connection with no water going to the motor either

impeller.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The original part number of 277181 is for the original metal impeller housing. You have the updated plastic housing. The impeller you need is part number 0763735 or Sierra 18-3090

By the way, the reason you had no water flow is because that impeller seperated from the hub. Happens alot with Sierra impellers. Either that, or the key will grind a channel in the hub rendering it useless. I have a bag full of damaged Sierra impellers. I would reccomend OEM.

2dogsnight

Cadet

you are absolutely right....after closer examination - impeller IS separated from the hub....the hub was turning without the impeller!!! Where do I get the originalimkpeller for this updated plastic housing???
I am assuming that the original impeller housing is no longer avaluable....and I need a new housing!

thank you !!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I like to reccomend iboats whenever possible, however they do not sell the OEM impellers unfortunately. You only burn up 1 motor before you learn and buy the OEM impeller only. Seems like some of the Sierra impellers will work fine, but if you get a bad one look out.

Here is the impeller which goes with the plastic housing. You can of course go with your local dealer as well.

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0763735 - Impeller (387361) @ MarineEngine.com

Im not sure off hand the part number for the plastic housing.

Here is the original impeller that goes with the metal housing.

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0434424 - Impeller - See Notes On Detail Page @ MarineEngine.com

Here is the metal housing (price is a bit crazy!!)

Evinrude Johnson OMC 0303442 - Impeller Housing @ MarineEngine.com

Now I believe you already have a new impeller you bought which goes with the metal housing right? Ill send you a PM

nwcove

Admiral

just curious, but if you switch to the plastic housing, will the original plate still work?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Tim I have never used a plastic housing, but doubt the plate is any different. The mounting locations and the water intake area would not change. Willing to bet they are the same.

Dont gamble your house on that advice though.

nwcove

Admiral

thanks Chris, i havent used or came across a motor that has the newer style plastic housing, just wasnt sure if the smaller dia? impeller would work with the original plate.

2dogsnight

Cadet

Here is a picture of plastic impeller housing....see cracks by the bolt....impeller plate has a gasket that seems not to be able seal the housing.....plate prabably would work with metal housing, but the gasket is made for smaller propeller

housing.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you still have the new impeller that goes with the metal housing?

nwcove

Admiral

Here is a picture of plastic impeller housing....see cracks by the bolt....impeller plate has a gasket that seems not to be able seal the housing.....plate prabably would work with metal housing, but the gasket is made for smaller propeller

View attachment 185800

is that where the gasket was when you took it apart, or did you just lay it there for the pic?? not sure if the upgraded plastic housing calls for the gasket to be in that location......but ive never seen a gasket there?? ( could be why the plastic housing cracked??)