25/18 Evinrude jet fuel problem--please help

BrandonW

Recruit
I have a 1995 Evinrude 25/18 Jet, from factory, that has not been ran in 6/7 years. I now know that it has never ran correctly since new. I thought the jet robbed more power than it did, but I now know differently.

I got this motor out to fix it up and use it, carburetor needed to be cleaned out, so I have. It will idle great, run to about half throttle, but if you open the throttle valve all the way up, it will kill the engine.

The main jet, coming straight up out of the bowl, does not have fuel coming out of it and into the intake. If I place my hand over the intake, covering about 75% of the area, it forms enough vacuum that a fuel mist comes out of the main jet and into the intake, and runs like a 25 HP should run. I know this is not good, restricting the air flow.

I have cleaned out the needle suction coming out of the bowl and going to the pilot jet/two other jets. I have cleaned those jets out, as well as the rest of the carb with wire/carb cleaner. I can't figure this one out. I have a fuel pump kit, and a carb kit, but I am waiting on a maintenance manual, which will be here in 2 days, or any other information, until I go any further. I have had this carb off 5 times. Does anyone have any suggestions?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 25/18 Evinrude jet fuel problem--please help

use the kits. and see if still having trouble, follow the directions set by set for linc and sinc. has to be set by set exact. this puts the carbs in sinc with the timing so the perform together. when you get that manual, act like you are going to be tested on it. the person with the higest scores gets $3,000 the cost to replace yuor engine.