evinrude 50hp a few questions

el payin

Recruit
hi,
i just bought a 15` beachcraft trihull open bow boat with a 50hp evinrude model #: e50belcic serial #: jooo1280
and here are my questions:

1) what year is the motor?

2) does it have its own charging system or, do i have to charge the battery evrytime it is needed?

3) the fastest i could go was 23mph (full trottle) with just me on board (200 lb) is this normal speed for this kind of setup?

4) when i`m cruising @ 10mph or at any speed and let go of the steering wheel the boat goes to the right immediately is this normal too?
your help is apreciatted.
thank you.

freddyray21

Commander
Re: evinrude 50hp a few questions

I had a similar set up on a 14 ft Lone Star. That motor should tach at about 5500 rpm. If it is taching that you might try a higher pitch prop to get a little more speed, but it's not going to be fast. It does have a charging system. If it is working you should not need to charge the battery. I believe based on the serial number it is a 1981 motor. As for the steering. It could be the trim tab needs to be adjusted to compensate for the prop torque.

el payin

Recruit

thank you freddyray,
but excuse my ignorance in this matters, what is the "trim tab" and how do you adjust it?
thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Trim tab is under the anti vent plate just above the prop.
it is a little fin and it needs to be turned to compinsate for prop torque.There is a bolt that holds it loosen the bolt and turn the trailing edge to the left port side of boat.This tab serves as a sacrifical anode too so it could be eroded or missing.You can get a replacement at your dealer.

el payin

Recruit

thank you steelespike
off i go to work on that.8)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I had a 15' foot Beachcraft with a 50hp Evinrude, 23MPH is about all you will get out of it, See if you can check the foam in the hull, there may be water in it, this can add a couple of hundred lbs.