1961 Johnson 3HP rebuild

thejh

Recruit
I inherited a 1961 Johnson model #JW-17 3HP outboard. It is in desperate need of a complete tear down and rebuild. My friends tell me to junk it but it was my uncles and he is no longer with us. I know it is not worth the money to rebuild but I see it as a challenge and I like old engines it would be nice on a small skiff that I may build. I now have a $100 rapped into it after ordering the parts, owners and shop manuals, should be here this week. It will not turn over, pistons are seized. I started the tear down last night. Got the tank, bracket, carb, plugs, and head cover off. Sprayed the chamber and I am going to let it set for a couple of days until I get the manuals. Am I going to have a hard time finding parts for this motor? I know I’m going to need all new rubber, carb rebuild kit, spark cables, rings and several bolts and screws. Any one knows what the original paint color and decals are for this model. What kind of paint should I use? I know I can do all the work my self but I am just starting to do research on parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1961 Johnson 3HP rebuild

Howdy, thejh.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />You have one of the greatest little outboards ever. Good luck in the restoration.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1961 Johnson 3HP rebuild

Belive it or not, if the spark plug wires are not cracked they're just fine. But if you want to replace them, go ahead.<br />Normally we run into trouble with cracked insulation on the ignition coils. They are worth replacing. The condensors rarely are a problem, and the points can always be cleaned.<br />Parts are very easy to find, as long as you're looking for commonly replaced stuff. Water pump, head gasket, carb kit, etc, are all easily available as both aftermarket and OEM parts. Some OEM parts are better than aftermarket (carb kit), and vice-versa (ignition coils), so ask. Price is comparable. Iboats carries aftermarket parts.<br /><br />Here's a few helpful sites:<br />maxrules.com/fixtuneitup.html<br />Tom Travis' website<br /><br />And this is for my 4, but very much the same as your 3hp:<br />4hp Info .<br /><br />Paint and decals:<br />nymarine.ca<br /><br />Hope that gets you started. If you run into trouble, just ask!<br />(PS - you're going to want to hone out those cylinders if there's any rust at all, as I'm doing there with my 4hp).<br /><br />EDIT: Ooops, I guess this is headed to the J/E forum. :)