Evinrude 225 looper. Is this normal?

makoboat20c

Recruit
I am looking at this 1992 evinrude 225 hp outboard. The engine idles fine. No excessive smoke or anything abnormal. <br /><br />Compression on all 6 cylinder varies between 88 psi and 93 psi. Is this normal?<br /><br />I also did this test on the same outboard and was not sure if the following observation was normal.<br /><br />After starting the outboard for a few minutes, I turned the engine off, removed the cowling, and took the engine out of gear. With my bare hands behinds some work gloves, I turned the flywheel and was able to spin the engine over (In the clockwise or counter clockwise direction) with some effort. I was surprise to be able to accomplish this with out much resistant. I am not Mr. Olympia and was not on any sort of HGH or Steroids when I did this. <br /><br />Is there something wrong with this outboard? <br /><br />Is it normal to be able to turn over the engine with such little effort by griping the flywheel and turning it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 225 looper. Is this normal?

Welcome!!<br /><br />Compression is good, everythings normal. Do NOT turn the flywheel counterclockwise. It could possibly flip the water pump impeller blades backwards. Not likely but possible.<br /><br />Also don't try to shift it into gear without the motor running or turning the prop. Shifting out of gear without it running is OK.