Is it a big job to change the impellor? '82 Johnson Seahorse 35hp longshaft

Gosling

Cadet
I think I am having an impellor problem.<br />It doesn't seem to want to pump at slow idle,and it seems to be warm, when I'm puttin' along, but as soon as it is a moderate to strong acceleration it pumps fine...the water is warm to the touch at the tell tale.I have never taken the engine apart before,but have tinkered with everything else and am mechanically inclined....Is it a big job to change the impellor?....and ...would this infact be the problem?<br />If it's not too tough, my next question would be a point in the right direction as to where to start?<br />any help would be appreciated....I am new to this

Walker

Captain
Re: Is it a big job to change the impellor? '82 Johnson Seahorse 35hp longshaft

Originally posted by Gosling:<br /> If it's not too tough, my next question would be a point in the right direction as to where to start?<br />any help would be appreciated....I am new to this
The place to start would be to get a shop manual for your particular motor.<br /> To answer your first question, it certainly could be your waterpump. I assume you don't know how old the present pump is. In that case, time to change it. You made need a complete waterpump kit due to wear of the cup.

Gosling

Cadet

thanks...I am in the process of trying to track down a manual for it....nothing yet.<br />No...I have no idea how old the old impeller is,just got done looking one up....not too much $ at all...I'll order one....I'ts the labour I'm concerned with.I think I could do it myself, If I knew where to start.(not to repeat myself)

Gosling

Cadet

Can you take it apart and clean it?Is that something you can do? ...just in he mean time til i can get a new one?

Walker

Captain

The job is pretty easy and a manual will carry you through it step by step. I think iboats has the manual and the parts<br />If you are going to order the parts I'd go ahead and get a "kit" not just the impellor.

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by Gosling:<br /> Can you take it apart and clean it?Is that something you can do? ...just in he mean time til i can get a new one?
Nope, nothing to clean, it's a wear issue and the fact that your impeller 'arms' have taken a set inside the pump housing. It's not worth your time to dismantle and re-assemble the pump without replacing . Hang in there, read the procedure (simple really)in the manual and install the kit. Any questions...just stop back here and ask for help. Plenty of good folks around to lend you a hand.

apaulos

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Gosling, <br /><br />Given your symptoms, I'd also consider: <br /><br />1) changing out the thermostat<br /><br />2) back flushing the head<br /><br />Best deal on manuals I've found is Ebay. You just need to keep checking and hope you're the only one in need when one shows.

Gosling

Cadet

do you guys think I'm ok to run it for now? I had it out for a few hours yesterday and a few more today.seemed to run fine. am I doing any harm?

Walker

Captain

I'm not sure your motor is overheating. Warm discharge water is normal. Does your overheat alarm work? With the key on disconnect the tan wire coming out of the head and ground the wiring harness end to the block. The alarm should sound. <br />At idle, which is what you were concerned about, put you hand in top of the cylinder head. You should be able to keep your hand there for some time without burning yourself. <br />If you can do that and your alarm works then I see no problem with running the motor.

Gosling

Cadet

I don't know/think I have an overheat alarm.mine is a pull start,if that makes any difference.I can put my hand there and I don't burn myself...it is warm,but not scaulding.......I don't think I have an alarm(perhaps something I should look into?)<br /><br />I'm going hunting for a manual!