'84 Evinrude 90 starter won't engage

Status
Not open for further replies.

booman80

Recruit
I had the boat out a week ago worked perfect. Went to run it this weekend, and the motor would turn over very slow. Then the starter wouldn't even engage the flywheel. The starter just spins without raising up to engage the teeth on the flywheel to crank the motor over. I just bought a new Optima blue-top marine battery.<br /><br />Any ideas of what may be the problem?

Walker

Captain
Re: '84 Evinrude 90 starter won't engage

First step is to double check the battery. I know its new but it could still be bad or just low on charge. Then clean both ends of each battery cable. try that and let us know.

VADER8674

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '84 Evinrude 90 starter won't engage

i worked thu the entire list above and got knowhere added a new ground from solinoid to block an starter spins like new rude 70 hp 1985

DustinH254

Recruit
Hello @ JB I am having this same issue with my 84 evinrude 115. The link you provided on this thread doesn't work I guess its expired? I was wondering if you could share the link that you sent booman? Been a very long time i see, just figured I would try, Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Try a PM to see if he is still around. This thread is 12 years old.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try a PM to see if he is still around. This thread is 12 years old.

Unless JB answers the Hot Line at the Pearly Gates, a PM won't work. RIP.

Start a new thread, Dustin. JB wasn't and isn't the only member with experience.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.