• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elses topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when its posted at the end of someone elses topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

WOT timing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT timing

I would like to check the WOT ignition timing on my J140TLCDC outboard and can't figure out a safe way to go WOT without assistance.Can this engine run WOT on muffs or does it need to be on the water? I know this may seam like a simple question but I am not sure what to do.Thanks in advance for any reply.

Re: WOT timing

I don't know about the WOT timing but I don't think you should ever run any motor at WOT on muffs. I am sure the experts will be in shortly......
    1992 201 Liberator 351 King Cobra (boat)
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 (tow pig)

Comment

Joe Reeves has a method for checking/setting timing w/o the motor running. Do a search (red SEARCH text above) for "sync and link". Do not EVER run the motor over 2000 RPM on muffs.
      Jim

===============================
      I don't respond to Private Messages PM's that are motor questions.

For basic information on a wide range of topics, see Top Secret File
      Link: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

OEM shop manual: outboardbooks.com or Ebay

Comment

"WOW" that was fast.Thaks for the reply.I will run the search you suggested and get back to you.

Comment

Well, I ran the search every way I could emagine and could not find the procedure reffered to.Hope someone can dirrect me with a linc. Thanks

Comment

welcome to iboats!try web page
            It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Comment

Thanks for the linc.I found the post and will put it to good use . Thanks Again

Comment

Will this method of setting the timing at WOT work the same way for all Evinrudes? In other words, is the 4 degrees retardation a standard for all Evinrudes? My motor is a 1990 V6 150HP

Comment

there is one other important step that I found on my Johnson 60, assuming it is similar. The method described says place throttle at full. If you do that, you may not be able to crank if there is a neutral-position-only lock out. So just leave the throttle at neutral and manually push the timer linkage to max advance and hold or wire it there against the rubber stop as you hit the crank switch.For best visibility with the timing gun, I used paper "white-out" to place three fast drying white spots: (1) on the stationary timing mark,(2)on the flywheel at the max advance mark per specs, and (3) also at -4 degrees from there, aiming to adjust to the latter when cranking.

Comment

Here ya' go guys. Compliments of Joe Reeves. Read it well before doing.(Timing At Cranking Speed 4°)(J. Reeves)The full spark advance can be adjusted without have the engine running at near full throttle as follows. To set the timing on that engine, have the s/plugs out, and have the throttle at full, set that timer base under the flywheel tight against the rubber stop on the end of the full spark timer advance stop screw (wire it against that stop if necessary). Rig a spark tester and have the gap set to 7/16". Hook up the timing light to the #1 plug wire. Crank the engine over and set the spark advance to 4° less than what the engine calls for. I don't know the full spark advance setting your engine calls for, but to pick a figure, say your engine calls for 28°, set the timing at 24°. The reasoning for the 4° difference is that when the engine is actually running, due to the nature of the solid state ignition componets, the engine gains the extra 4°. If you set the engine to its true setting at cranking speed, when running it will advance beyond its limit by 4° which will set up pre-ignition causing guaranteed piston damage! You don't want that to take place. No need to be concerned about the idle timing as that will take care of itself. The main concern is the full advance setting. Be sure to use your own engines spark advance settings, not the one I picked out of the air here in my notes
                    When in doubt...use the manual

Rayland, Ohio....Along the Muddy Banks of the Mighty Ohio River.

Comment

still no answer as to how to go full throttle and crank the engine at the same time.My motor will not allow me to throw throttle full open and crank engine at the same time.Please clarify.

Comment

both of the two previous posts tell how.for clarification and terminology, when I mentioned the neutral lockout, I meant when using the remore control lever. Of course, you do not need to do that. Use the throttle/ignition advance lever at the block itself.please read again carefully ...you are NOT ever running the engine at all during the test! The spark plugs are out and each one grounded. The test speed is while cranking, not running. With the engine thus "tricked" you are spinning by the starter motor at 250 or so rpm (plugs out) and with the ignition linkage artificially MECHANICALLY advanced, so it thinks it is "linkage" WOT, minus an "ELECTRONIC" 4 degrees Why? because when the electronics sense crank speed, a later timing is appropriate, so a default late timing of [mechanical advance minus an electronic 4 degrees] is automatically performed. So, for example, timing adjustment by this method for WOT on my motor is not for spec 19 degrees, but for 19-4=15. Yours will likely be different spec per your manual.Hope this helps. Harvey

Comment

I just performed the W.O.T. timing procedure myself on my 25hp twin cyl. yesterday. I located the neutral safty switch (starboard side below the rectifier) removed the wire from the switch and grounded the termanial, this allowed me to run the starter with the throttle open. Almost forgot to reconnect the wire to the switch before reinstalling the cowling, it's easy to forget. hope this helps you out.

Comment

^

Comment

and when its all said and done there is only ONE way to verify timing at WOT. especially on some of the quick start models. ya have to run it at or near full throttle with a full load, test wheel,dyno or water test. the post Joe gave usually gets ya close. however the vagaries of electronic ignitions can alter it at actual running speeds.prefered method is with a test wheel or dyno, lets you set/check the timing and at the ame time verify the engine output is correct.
                              no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
                              you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

Working...
                              X