1965 40hp evinrude timing adjustment...

truckhp

Recruit
I have a 65 aerocraft with a lark IX , there's a <br />shaft off the throttle that controls the timing and throttle blade, but the adjustment screw came loose and the throttle shaft came out of adjustment so when under full throttle the boat <br />will not get up to speed, i've tried setting the throttle wide open, then setting the shaft wide open and so on but i cant seem to get it right.<br /> <br /> the motors idles nice and runs alright like this but the timing just isnt advanced correctly. Any <br />help given would be greatly appretiated, thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 40hp evinrude timing adjustment...

Have the engine NOT running but in forward gear.<br /><br />Move the armature plate (plate the points are on) so that it is up against the spark advance stop (as far as it goes).<br /><br />Now, with just a slight finger pressure against the back of that rod, not enough to move the throttle butterfly, slide that brass threaded collar back against the clevis that the rod goes thru at the top of the vertical throttle arm, then tighten the set screw. That's it.

freddybell

Cadet

Have the engine NOT running but in forward gear.<br /><br />Move the armature plate (plate the points are on) so that it is up against the spark advance stop (as far as it goes).<br /><br />Now, with just a slight finger pressure against the back of that rod, not enough to move the throttle butterfly, slide that brass threaded collar back against the clevis that the rod goes thru at the top of the vertical throttle arm, then tighten the set screw. That's it.

Is this the same process used for a 1965 big twin 40hp

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Yes,it is the same engine

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

NOTE: Post is eight (8) years old.