• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

1975 EVINRUDE 115HP

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 EVINRUDE 115HP

Hey Guys Well season is off to just a great start Started boat today and noticed after it ran for awhile water stopped sparying out the exhaust holes and the warning horn sounded I shut motor down and left off Im assuming the water pump/ impeller let go glad that it did now then on the water what do I need to do to change it ?thank you for the help in advance

Re: 1975 EVINRUDE 115HP

You will need to pick up a waterpump kit from either your dealer or online. Then you will need to drop the lower unit to access the pump. Also, you will need to pick up a manual for your motor... Not real hard to do, but the Manual will lead you through it...
    Rick

"Boating is Life...All the rest is just Details"

2007 Bentley 200 Cruise
    2007 Merc. 90 4 stroke

Comment

Buy the whole water pump kit from your dealer because you will want to have everything you need before you start.There are 7 bolts that you will need to remove from under the cavitation plate on the lower unit to release it from the mid-section or exhaust housing. One of these actually holds the trim tab, but there is another bolt above the tab that must be removed. There is a single bolt that connects the shift rod at the top. It is located near center, starboard, immediately under the rear of the carbs and is the cause of much swearing. You should familiarize yourself with that connection before you begin and make sure that you have the tools and a strategy for removal and replacement of that bolt. If you drop the bolt, it may be difficult to retrieve, so a piece of cloth slid under the carbs and up to the rod may help to catch it.When you have released the shift rod, make every effort not to allow the swivel at the top of the shift rod to turn, as it must go back as it was. I usually put some masking tape on until I put the unit back.This is a really good time to look over the rest of the gearcase, clean out the drains and even do a pressure test if you have the time.It is a real help to have a second set of hands around when you put the unit back on.Best of luck!

Comment

Also, here's a little video to get you prepared: web page
        Rick

"Boating is Life...All the rest is just Details"

2007 Bentley 200 Cruise
        2007 Merc. 90 4 stroke

Comment

I started to take apart the lower unit and drained the gear oil the oil came out like a carmel/tan color and there are little pieces of metal on the drain plug any ideas ?

Comment

You have picked up some water. Top of the line gear oils will protect the gearcase against some water intrusion, and you can change the oil more often as a precaution, too, but eventually you should get the seal kit and stop the leaks.The metal fragments are from the gears but don't panic, a little bit is not unusual, especially if the oil has not been changed for a while. You can slow down the gear destruction by pausing at neutral, and making quick, decisive shifts from idle speed.While you have the lower unit off, you can put a little air pressure on the gearcase through the oil change ports, and then submerge the gearcase and the air bubbles will tell you where the leaks are. The leaks are often from bad washers on the oil plugs. You can get new washers from your dealer.

Comment

Ok I have all the bolts off the lower unit on the bolt however thats under the carbs is it a big bolt that hold the lever on or is there another one I took the big one off but lower unit will not come off it has started to pull apart but thats about it did I take the right bolt off

Comment

It sounds like you took the wrong bolt off/loose. The one you need to get is , I believe 3/8 " and has a 1/2" or so pin with a few threads at the head. The one I think you took off is to tighten link around , the linkage pin? If thats the case ,Id try to put it back. The one you need is at the very top of the shift rod. Just something that will make you swear , a little less. As you've been told the shift rod bolt is hard to access and even harder to put back. I bought a flexible , 4 finger grabber, its about 2 ft. long . It has 4 prongs that extend when a plunger is depressed on handle end. There about $5.00 or so at most auto parts , chain stores. It will hold the bolt great until you can get the pin part of the bolt through the shift rod and link. It will save alot of time and as said cussin". If you dont want to buy one . A 1/4 inch drive, with extension will do . I fill the socket with grease , to hold bolt. Much easier with long finger thing . Good-Luck, KYHunter

Comment

Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP for short) is the successor to Outboard Marine Corporation (OMC) which manufactured your motor before the bankruptcy. BRP has very kindly provided access to their parts diagrams at no cost (which OMC never did).You can find the parts breakdown for your motor here: BRP Parts Diagrams

Comment

is what im looking for all the way at the end of the rod looks like its the thing is pressed in ?

Comment

the one at the very end of the rod doesnt look like a bolt no head

Comment

Having said all of that, if you go to the diagrams for your motor and then open and enlarge the gearcase diagram, you can see part labeled 76 in the upper right hand corner. That part is at the top of the shift rod and extends through the floor of the engine compartment (lower cowl). If you look closely at the sketch, you can see the hole from which you need to remove the pin.

Comment

Dave, If your looking from port side of engine . The end could look like its pressed in. The bolt head (at least on the ones I've done) is on the starboard side. I posted this just in case you have trouble reading motor diagram. Good - Luck, KYHunter

Comment

I got the lower unit off there wasnt a bolt it was sort of like a pin, what a pain Now my question is the unit took some work to come off it did not wanna let go when it finally did Im not sure if the tab stayed or if it moved what will happen if it did move when it goes make together

Comment

I looked at diagram. What is the tab? Do you mean the connector, at the end of the shift rod , may have turned? Its hard to see in diagram . But, if you turned it , it changed the adjustment, of shift rod length. I'm not sure how much, it would depend on, how far it was turned. I do, as stated previously, tape it, so it won't turn. All that only matters, if thats how yours is adjusted. And if ,thats what you mean by tab. LOL. Good-Luck, KYHunter

Comment

Working...
                              X