evinrude spitfire 1992 150 hp

reeldutch

Lieutenant
1992 evinrude 150 spitfire series<br /><br />is there any trouble points rebuilding the motor?<br /><br />the motor has low compresion ive been told because there was water in the fuel.<br />rings broken and badly scored cylinder.<br />thats all i know.<br />i dont know wich ones or how many??<br /><br /><br />it has spark<br />and motor looks clean but is used in saltwater.<br /><br />i might want to look in to this motor.<br /><br />any owners who can tell me about it???

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: evinrude spitfire 1992 150 hp

i bought it for $500 and i assumed i will have to rebore the whole block and install 6 new pistons.<br /><br />i will pickup the motor tomorow morning and will post more about it as soon as i find out more.<br /><br />cant wait to tear into this 150.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Watch out dutch....Mr. D. has a "thing" for these loopers...... :D :D

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i was reading something about the waterjacket on the 91/92 models are known to crack and water will enter the intake in nr 1 cylinder.<br />if this is the case is it repairable? welding??<br />or is it imposible to get into it.<br /><br />well we will see first i have to get it over here at the house, my neighbour has a bobcat he will help me get the motor on a stand.<br /><br />and i will post back as soon as i find out whats wrong with it or see problems.<br />i know its gonna be more difficult than a cf V4, but it will be a challenge.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets look at number 1 cylinder first.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i took both heads off and the starboard bank looks in good shape.<br />no markings or anything, carbondeposits did not apear to bad.<br />heads in good shape no pits or anything.<br />it doesnt look like there were any problems on this bank.<br /><br />the portside however all 3 cylinders have markings and i can feel them with my finger.<br />there are do dings or pits in the heads so i do believe the rings could still be there in 1 piece.<br />the scoring is not bad at all.<br />the piston domes looked normal to me all 6 the same black carbon.<br />when i cleaned og the cylinderhead of the portside<br />there is an orange brownish color in it.<br />i looked in the coweling and the foam on the portside looked a litle melted.<br /><br />i have a feeling the portside bank overheated for some reason but im nut shure yet.<br />i will take pics soon and post them here.<br /><br />the sparkplugs all looked the same too.<br /><br />i still have to put this puppy on a stand its still in the truck.<br />i couldnt wait to take a look at the pistons.<br /><br />i was amazed how easy it was to take the heads of i had plenty of space to wrech around.<br /><br />will post pics soon

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, sounds like there is no water in #1, thats good. There are several reasons for one side to overheat and not the other. Lets start with the easy stuff first.<br /><br />What spark plugs are in it?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

the plugs that where in it are ql77jc4

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Excellent. OK, the next step is to look at the port head. The t-stat on that side could be malfunctioning or missing. Or there could be some clogged water passages.<br /><br />As you noticed, there are no head gaskets. There should be black RVT sealer around the water passages. If someone had the head off before and got crazy with the sealer it's easy to get the passages partially plugged. Pay close attention to the larger ones.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i looked at the passages of the heads and i think there cant flow much water threu there.<br />i havent realy looked at it real closeley but it looked like some passages could be clogged.<br />sealant and salt crud buildup.<br />its amazing how it works without a gasket.<br /><br />i just dropped the lu of no problem there. the waterpump looked ok, i will replase that any way.<br />but it didnt look like the waterpump was the cause.<br /><br />the motor is realy a salt water motor the barnacals are still on the transom bracket looks like im eating clams tonight.<br /><br />i will post pics tomorow but as far as i can tell it realy looks rebuildable.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It wouldn't effect only one side but it may not hurt to make sure the water inlets are good & open.<br /><br />The salt build up could indeed effect that one side. <br /><br />Silly question but the O rings were still there, right?

reeldutch

Lieutenant

yes the rubber o rings stayed in the block,<br />i'l post the pics of that to.<br />the heads where stuck when i removed all the headbolts.<br />i had to pull them realy loose there is no doubt that the rings didnt caused a compresion leak.<br /><br />how do you clean out the heads because there is no headcover?<br />blow them out with compressed air??<br />or something else i can do?<br />the passages look very small to me compared to the cfv4.<br />and the rtv sealand is more inside the pasages than around.<br />youl see what i talk about tomorow.<br />i could rathle the nr 3 piston a little more then the other ones<br />this is the right nr?<br /><br />1 2<br /><br />3 4<br /><br />5 6<br /><br />well i call it a day <br />thanks for all the help.<br />if i can get the motor rebuild nice then im gonna put it on my 1974 mako 20'<br />now i have the V4 110 on it with a 13 3/4 x 17<br /><br />the 150 looper should kick *** right?<br /><br />thanks reeldutch

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The cylinders are numbered opposite of that. 1 is the top cylinder -- the top starboard -- and @ is top port. Starboard bank is 1-3-5 and the port bank is 2-4-6.<br /><br />One of my best buddies has a 60* 150 on a 1976 20' Mako. Sweet ride.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

thanks dhadley,<br /><br />here is a link for the pics.<br /> i hope you can see something.<br /><br />the sealand sits inside the waterpasages and some salt buildup.<br /><br />the lower big waterpasage looks pretty clean to me.<br /><br />there is defenetly a color difference in the heads.<br />may be overheated thats my guess.<br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/outboardpictures/1992v6evinrude150hp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=23 <br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/outboardpictures/1992v6evinrude150hp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24 <br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/outboardpictures/1992v6evinrude150hp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=25 <br /><br /><br />thanks again.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

i got some better pictures,<br /><br />nr 2,4,6 all scored<br /><br />nr 1,3,5 look good no scoring<br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/outboardpictures/1992v6evinrude150hp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=26 <br /><br /> http://groups.msn.com/outboardpictures/1992v6evinrude150hp.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=27 <br /><br />nr 4 is the worst.<br /><br />i got it all set up to tear it down.<br /><br />i broke the fuel hose conector that go's into the lower pan.<br /><br />thanks <br /><br />reeldutch

reeldutch

Lieutenant

took off the tstats from the heads and i didnt see any real problems. will put new ones on.<br />there was some salt buildup but nothing would indicate blockage.<br /><br />my question is what else could be the cause of the 3 portside cylinders scored.<br />could it be carb/linkage related??<br />is it posible all 3 carbs where lean?<br />im just looking for causes<br /><br />the carb buildup in the exhaust port on nr4 is pretty bad. the other 2 and 6 are less and on 1,3,5, they look all the same normal .<br /><br />oh, im missing the timing wheel cover is that effecting the optical sensor???<br /><br />thanks