1977 Evinrude 35hp Carburetor trouble

dwest

Recruit
This is my first post to a well browsed forum. I would like to thank the many posters and the moderators for a well kept site.<br /><br />I recently purchased a small fishing boat with a 1977 Evinrude 35. It was quite evident that this boat had been well maitained.<br /><br />Problem:<br /><br />I used the boat 3 times without incident, the 4th was more troublesome. My son and I motored for about 15 minutes and stopped for a bit. Started again and the boat started to hesitate, soon the choke was necessary to keep running, then..... row, row, row your boat slowly down the stream. Luckily half way back a few lads were kind enough to offer a tow.<br /><br />Solution:<br /><br />Before dumping a large amount of money into it I researched the forum and ended up with a carburetor kit and a manual.<br /><br /><br />Findings:<br /><br />The carburetor was extremely clean when I took it off, and I thought, just my luck, the problem may lie elsewhere. I stuck with it and rebuilt the carb. The boat now runs flawlessly. The only things that stood out in the rebuild is that the float was not adjusted correctly and the float needle may have been sticking. The rebuild kit had a spring clip for the needle to ensure that it drops as the float does.<br /><br />I thought that I would share this, in case others may get some benefit from it.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Dave<br /><br />p.s.: The next project is a lower unit seal kit and water pump rebuild.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1977 Evinrude 35hp Carburetor trouble

Welcome to iboats and thanks for the observations. :) <br /><br />Most of the carbs I take apart have visible problems like varnishing. But a lot look perfectly clean and I never see what's causing the problem. Something got in there and formed a blockage. Giving them a good cleaning and blowing out the passages frequently fixes the problem without ever knowing exactly what it was.<br /><br />The hook on the float valve is a smart upgrade. I have no idea why they didn't do it in the first place. Sometimes the valve gets stuck just enough so that fuel pressure won't open it. But put a hook on the needle and gravity becomes a very valuable friend when the weight of the float pulls it open anyhow.

dwest

Recruit

Well... I told a small mistruth in my previous post. The motor ran fine without a load on it.<br /><br />Evinrude 35hp model #35753H SN E000484<br /><br />I have researched more and checked a few things.<br /><br />1. One suspect coil (cracks, etc.) was checked and was weak. It was replaced.<br />2. Performed the test from the manual on the power pack. If my math is right it appears to have 200 volts going to each coil. Book has 180 as a minimum.<br />3. Re-gapped the new plugs to 0.040. Clymers has the 1977 35hp at 0.040. I was also told that the gap was 0.030. Champion L77CJ4 Could someone clear this up?<br /><br />Symptoms:<br /><br />The motor starts and idles fine. At idle in forward gear the low speed idle screw is backed out about 1-3/4 turns and runs very well with no choke necessary.<br /><br />When I advance the throttle the engine will surge and then begin to stall unless the choke is pulled. On occasion the engine will not recover after the choke is pulled and will die.<br /><br />The engine will run without stalling at WOT with full choke. It will run at about 1500 rpm with the choke partially engaged.<br /><br />This has all been fairly experimental for fear of cooking the engine by running lean. The boat will putt putt around the lake at idle all day with no choke. Fortunately the lake I was on has a no wake restriction.<br /><br />Things that have been checked:<br /><br />1. Fuel is clean and fresh.<br />2. Tank is vented and fuel pick-up is clean.<br />3. New fuel line and primer bulb.<br />4. Fuel pump screen is clean. I have not checked fuel pressure. There is no performance difference if I pump the primer bulb.<br />5. New carburetor kit as stated before.<br />6. Tested compression at 120 and 122<br />7. Fuel lines appear to be good. (not craked or brittle) I'll replace them for good measure. <br /><br />Could I have immediately fouled the high speed jet, or not got it clean before?<br /><br />I truly believe that I have a fuel delivery system problem.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your help.<br /><br />p.s. I did get the lower unit re-sealed. It is almost worthy of another post.

fireman57

Captain

You might check your linkage. If you have a manual do a link n sync per the instructions. Your butterflies may not be opening when they should. There should be a mark on your throttle "plate" that comes in contact with a roller. These need to be aligned. My first bet is that you missed something in the carb. Probably in the high speed jet.

ave22

Recruit

i also have a 1977 evinrude 35hp. I replaced the coils, power pack, went through the carb and i am still having troubles. Compression is 125 and 123. The motor will run great with ear muffs on but when i put a load it doesnt run very well at all. It will run great in nuetral and reverse on the water, just not forward. I am clueless.