correct plug gap for 88 spl

Status
Not open for further replies.

bquick8

Seaman
I'm running Champ ql77jc4 plugs at.030 and they seem to be running a little wet.I do mostly trolling at about 9 knots(?rpm,no tach).Should I try to gap at .035 or .040?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: correct plug gap for 88 spl

I went to .03 when everyone said that a bulletin had changed from the original specification (.04). <br /><br />I think a lot of folks found you could not troll at .03 without fouling a lot and went back to a wider gap (me included).

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by bquick8:<br /> I'm running Champ ql77jc4 plugs at.030 and they seem to be running a little wet.
Use the factory recommended Champion QL82C for better low speed running. Be sure to have the engine idle temperature checked to make sure the thermostats are working correctly.

bquick8

Seaman

If I run the ql82c plugs,what's the recommended gap. Also would like to know what the engine idle temp is supposed to be and where you check it.I'd presume somewhere on the heads near the water inlet?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Both plugs are listed in current literature at .030<br /><br />On the boat setup chart: Spark Plugs <br /><br />Just out of curiosity, what plug is specified in your owner's manual?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

bquick.....Run a .040 gap if you do a lot of trolling, on either plug, and you'll be fine. What year is this engine? <br /><br />The rule of thumb for most OMC's is to be able to hold your finger on the top of either head for about 3 seconds before you have to take it off, this is roughly 140 degrees.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Back around 1996, Johnson and Evinrude revamped their sparkplug charts, making older service manuals and owners manuals obsolete.<br /><br />The latest factory recommended charts are in the annual Genuine Parts and Accessories Guide that dealers receive every year.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Facts are not in evidence, sir. On the BRP parts diagram advanced section, I see that (QL82C) on the 1995 and 1996 88 listing, but not on the 1991 model. What? <br /><br />The Boat Setup chart states that it is up to date as of the revision date 2/24/2005. In the absence of countervailing evidence, what do owners do? <br /><br />Spark Plug Chart <br /> <br />Why the big secret? Can't someone at BRP publish an updated spark plug list in the public domain?

Johnson88hp

Recruit
How about ngk gap.my dealer said it was a better plug but it runs a little rough.not sure of the gap so i just put them in to see what happens

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about ngk gap.my dealer said it was a better plug but it runs a little rough.not sure of the gap so i just put them in to see what happens

13 year old thread. Start a new thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.