76 johnson javelin 85hp fuse & power loss

Gidday<br />I have a 1976 johnson javelin 85 hp on a 5.2 express cavalier. Until recently it was happy cruising at 34 knots. I slowed to trolling speed then when i tried to accelerate i could not do more than 6 knots. A fuse had blown and the moter was running on two cylinders. The fuse was replaced and the power unit that controls the ignition system was replaced.<br />Next time out the same thing happened. This time I replaced the fuse and imediately had full power again on all four cylinders. This has now happened two more times.<br />Today the motor just lost power when cruising at about 28 knots. Replacing the fuse did not restore the power. <br />The fuse seems to blow when I adjust the trim while travelling. <br />Any clues.<br />Thanks Evan

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 76 johnson javelin 85hp fuse & power loss

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />The ignition system and electrical systems are separate. The fuse should have nothing to do with spark. Which gets me to thinking... The only things the systems have in common are the stator (separate circuits on a common part), the block (ground), and the ignition switch. Check all your grounds and make sure they're clean and tight. The stator is probably fine, but... The ignition switch gets my vote. Moisture gets in there and corrodes things. That could cross battery power over to the ignition system and short out that fuse.<br /><br />Or you have two separate problems. I bet you'll track that blowing fuse to the trim wiring or motor, and the power pack could've failed all on its own. That's probably more likely.<br /><br />Follow the trim wiring from the motor to the switch. Sometimes wires get pinched or rub on screws and short the wires intermitttently. But I think the problem is in the remote control. I base this on nothing more than it has wires in very close proximity to moving metal (the lever).