1991 lowe 1720 W/ 1991 johnson 70 blowing 20A fuse at motor?

tj_1000

Recruit
HI, Im new to boating, and just bought my boat last year. I have a 1991 lowe deep v 17ft. with a 1991 johnson 70. Towards the end of season last year I started to notice my voltage on the gage was running up around 16-17 volts at times. Then their was a couple times when the 20 amp short fuse in motor would blow. It would sometimes blow when I would put key in ignition and turn it to accessory position. Then go to start and their was nothing. motor wouldn't turn over no power trim. I would replace fuse sometimes it would blow again right away sometimes it would start up and be fine for an hour, sometimes a couple days. Then sometimes it started blowing when I was in water running and I would trim motor. Well season ended. I hoped when i pulled boat out this year it would be fine. wrong,,,The first day I got boat out ran fine for 1 hour. next day blew right away. went thru 5 fuses blowing them as son as i put key in and turned just one position. Is their anyone that can help me? will appreicate very much<br /> tj 269-208-9736

sycamore

Seaman
Re: 1991 lowe 1720 W/ 1991 johnson 70 blowing 20A fuse at motor?

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. As a first step I would carefully inspect all the wires on the motor and look for insulation rubbed off or pinched. If it runs for a while and then blows when your moving, the wire may be close enough to touch metal or the block and need just the right movement to ground again. Any wires near the hood latches or shift linkages? That fuse is doing exactly what it was meant to do to protect the motor components. You might have to undo a clamp or two to inspect in those areas.