Adding a tell-tale spout

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice
This place is awesome!! Can I add a tell-tale spout to my 1977 70 HP Evinrude? I was told yes by some and no by others. There was a post somewhere in here but I can't seem to locate where it is. Ser. # 70773 I looked at my engine but I dont see where there is supposed to be a plug. If I can where can I buy the parts to do this.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Adding a tell-tale spout

You just need two parts. A 1/8 brass pipe threaded nipple to fit a small hose, and a couple feet of speedometer hose. There should be a 1/8 pipe plug on top of the block near the thermostat or on the water jacket cover on the head. Barring that, you can make your own hole on top of the block on the flat area near the thermostat on the top of the head.

jim_in_day

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I added a tell-tale to my 76 70hp rude and I love it. Like Willy says, it's simple. The only thing i would do different is I used a 90 degree elbow plug made of plastic instead, the side plate where I put mine is very thin, and I didn't want to strip the threads. If I were to do it over, I would put it on the top instead of the side cover. I know that using the search function you should be able to find the procedure. It works great.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 68 Evinrude 55HP. Would this be the proper place to install the telltale? <br /><br />
LarsonBlockPlug.jpg

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep. Just to be sure you can always pull the plug and crank it up. If water shoots out.....you got the hole..... :D

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And if water doesnt shoot out....start a water pump thread :D

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you guys for all of your help. <br />I searched the entire motor area where a plug might be found, there is no plug to be found. While I was looking the motor over I discovered that the temperature switch is broken off at the cylinder head cover. Two questions... How do I remove this and also, where would I put a tell-tale spout if I needed to put one. I do believe this is why my warning horn is going off at random. I bought this boat used from a guy who told me that everything is in working order. From now on I will be alot more perceptive. JIM IN DAY any help with this location for a tell-tale spout!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

What you will have to do Les is pull the head cover off. There's about 15 1/4" bolts holding it to the head. Once you get that off, you can pull the temp switch out.<br /><br />Is the wire from the temp switch broke off at the hole or is there any lead left? If there is any lead left, you can just splice the wires back together.<br /><br />Your exhaust manifold is made up of three main parts. The inner exhaust manifold plate, an exhaust manifold and an outer cover. The middle part, exhaust manifold is the wider of the three. Easy to see. It's full of water when the engine is running. I don't see why you couldn't drill and tap it on top for a 1/4" NPT elbow and connect your tell tale up here.<br /><br />Below is the link for the BRP site. Click on engine diagrams and follow the prompts. When you get to your engine, click on "Cylinder and Crankcase". The breakdown of your block should show up. Take a look at the exhaust manifold and you can get an idea of what I'm saying.<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ, Thank you<br />I do have the service manual!<br />I do see the breakdown the way you have explained it for the drilling out for a TELL-TALE spout. <br />The wire(s) are broken off at the cylinder head cover, not enough to splice to.<br />By removing the cylinder head cover and replacing that switch, does it(the cover)go back on the same way it came off?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yes Les, it would. Just reverse the process. All you should need is a new gasket and of course temp sensor. While your in there, clean out the water circuits real good. Clean the bolts real good and give them a coat of gasket sealing compound when you put them back in. This will help keep them from getting corroded and easy to remove if you have to ever do this again.

jim_in_day

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a service bulletin, #2276 rev 1, which does apply to 1985 through 1994 70 hp engine which involves relocating the tell tale hose from the side of the engine to the top of the block. (prevents air from being trapped in the upper half of the cooling system). I would look that up to get a location for your indicator

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP - AGAIN<br />I have ordered a new thermostat, temp. switch, gasket. I will replace them all at the same time. When I do remove this, by looking at the parts manual and service manual there is nothing underneath but the cyl. head itself. Will a demon jump out at me? By that I mean it comes off and goes back on by removing and replacing the bolts to this cover. The head does not come off with it does it? It appears that the HEAD has it own set of bolts holding it on, according to the service and parts manual - am I right! I really dont want to screw this seemingly easy task up. You dont know the ARNOLD rule of what wont go wrong will go wrong.<br />jim in day, where do I locate that bulletin that you have mentioned? Thank you too

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The head stays on Les. Don't worry about that. No demons to jump out. Straight forward job. Once all the retaining bolts are removed from the head cover, you may have to take a screw driver and pry the cover off. Sometimes the gaskets are like glue.

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

<br /><br />I recently installed this on a replacement powerhead for my 1986 Johnson 60. The earlier model did not have a telltale so I installed one with the great advice of the guys here. Harvey

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

<br /><br />This shows the water passage with the exhaust cover removed from the old motor that I replaced. The telltale hole was drilled and tapped to "drain" that area. Your model is earlier year and this may not apply. The experts here can tell us.

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

OBJ <br />LET ME BUY YOU A BEER OR TWO. YOU WERE RIGHT ON THE MONEY WITH YOUR ADVICE. I REPLACED THE TEMP SWITCH & T-STAT TODAY. TOTAL TIME START TO FINISH ABOUT 2 HOURS. HAD TO DO ALOT OF CLEANING. PREVIOUS ABUSER USED I DONT KNOW WHAT ON THE COVERS TO SEAL THEM. BUT TO NO AVAIL I CLEANED ALL SURFACES, PORTS, BOLTS TO PERFECTION. WENT BACK TOGETHER LIKE A PUTTING ON A GLOVE. :cool: <br />I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> What you will have to do Les is pull the head cover off. There's about 15 1/4" bolts holding it to the head. Once you get that off, you can pull the temp switch out.<br /><br />Is the wire from the temp switch broke off at the hole or is there any lead left? If there is any lead left, you can just splice the wires back together.<br /><br />Your exhaust manifold is made up of three main parts. The inner exhaust manifold plate, an exhaust manifold and an outer cover. The middle part, exhaust manifold is the wider of the three. Easy to see. It's full of water when the engine is running. I don't see why you couldn't drill and tap it on top for a 1/4" NPT elbow and connect your tell tale up here.<br /><br />Below is the link for the BRP site. Click on engine diagrams and follow the prompts. When you get to your engine, click on "Cylinder and Crankcase". The breakdown of your block should show up. Take a look at the exhaust manifold and you can get an idea of what I'm saying.<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/
That bottom link is a belter OBJ thank you for that all the schematics for my engine in the one place brilliant man :D

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class

rbxhxy.jpg
<br /><br /><br />This page is being displayed on the BRP site where do I go from here?Is this just a tech hitch or am I missing something?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

There should be a box asking if you would like to provide your email address. You don't have to. Just click the "View Parts Catalog" button in that same box.<br /><br />Les.....glad to have been of some help. You did the work....enjoy the boat!