Vintage Johnson Sea Horse

wadefisher

Cadet
My neighbors 96 year old father passed away late last year. I went over with my neighbor to his house the other day. And in the corner upside down was an old Johnson Sea Horse. I couldn't find any numbers around the outside, but I recognize from the posts on this web site that it's a 5HP TD-20. It probably hasn't run in 20+ years and would probably need complete overhaul. My neighbor said I could have it. It's a pretty cool looking little engine. I was wondering how much trouble (aside from the float) would it take to get running again and if anyone thought it worth spending the time to rebuild.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Randy

Ilikesalmon

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Vintage Johnson Sea Horse

Not worth a penny! Send it to me and I will take it of your hands for nothing! ;)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The year is somewhere between 46' and 49'. Did ya' get the fuel tank also?<br /><br />Like bubbakat posted, read the threads on these elder engines. Parts are still getable but first you should determine if the engine is worth the effort. Compression is a key here along with spark and lower unit condition.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That engine is an all together different animal than the one's made in the fifty's, and later. Points, and coils would probably be the first problem.

wadefisher

Cadet

Originally posted by bubbakat:<br /> Why would you think it needed a over haul.<br />The first thing I would do is the following<br /><br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000033 <br /><br />Those old engines were very reliable.<br /><br />Do a search on here about these and you will get many hits.
Thanks for the link. I was searching for strings like "td-20" and "Johnson sea horse". I did not find this FAQ. I would think anything would need rebuilding if it sat upside down for a couple decades. I'll follow the FAQ and see what happens.

wadefisher

Cadet

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> The year is somewhere between 46' and 49'. Did ya' get the fuel tank also?<br /><br />Like bubbakat posted, read the threads on these elder engines. Parts are still getable but first you should determine if the engine is worth the effort. Compression is a key here along with spark and lower unit condition.
I'm really new to this engine. I assume you're talking about separate fuel tank that came with those models? I only saw the engine. I can look around a little closer when I pick it up to see if the tank is there too. Thanks for the key points to look for. I will pay close attention to compression, spark, and lower unit.<br /><br />Randy

wadefisher

Cadet

Originally posted by R.Johnson:<br /> That engine is an all together different animal than the one's made in the fifty's, and later. Points, and coils would probably be the first problem.
Roger that...My neighbor said it was used in salt water. It may be to far gone...<br /><br />IF that's the case...maybe I could part it out or make a cool mailbox out of it :D (that'll probably tweek someone)