89 evinrude 155 commercial

rcb130

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to all for past help. Todays questions are:<br />1. Did the 89 commercial cowlings have any decals and if so, does anyone have a picture of what they looked like or know where I can get a replacement set without mortgaging the ranch?<br />2. How do I start and run this motor without the remote hookup ( ignition key, warning horn )? I want to be able to start and run the motor with flushing muff attached.<br />3.This motor is in great shape mechanically and cosmetically except for the decals. Anyone have any thoughts on its' value?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 evinrude 155 commercial

Don't know about the decals, but you can hook up a battery to the motor, jump the starter out and it will run. Be prepared to use the choke to kill the engine, as you will have no cut-off without the harness hooked up. Of course, you will have to manually choke it to start it as well..

rcb130

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rick,<br /> Thanks for the info. How do I jump the starter? Sorry, I need exact instructions.<br />rcb130

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

You would just jump across the large terminals on the starter selenoid. You will see that one terminal goes back to the battery, the other to the starter. There are remote starter switches sold cheaply at auto parts stores for such a purpose...

DHPMARINE

Captain

rcb 130,<br /><br />Are you also planning on running the motor without the remote control shift and throttle cables connected ?<br /><br />If so,be aware you have to manually move the throttle,or it may start and be at FULL throttle.<br /><br />could be interesting.<br /><br />DHP