Evinrude 200 Vindicator - overheats at WOT

dondofish

Cadet
Hello and thank you for reading this.<br /> I have a 1997 Evinrude 200 Vindicator. I had a new reman powerhead installed in Feb. '05. From the day I got the boat back, I have had problems. It is in the shop again as we speak. It has been in the shop 8 times this past fiscal year. The main problem I am having is that at WOT, the water temp alarm goes off and it goes into SLOW mode. I'll shut it down immediately and let it idle for a minute or so. Most of the time when I do this, it will idle at 2000-2500 RPM's! To get the idle down to normal, I'll push in the choke. Let me back up a little. Last week I took my mechanic out for a spin, trying to get it to overheat for him. We weren't sure if it was actually the overheat light and alarm, or the check engine light and alarm, so we did this to be sure.<br /> When cruising at WOT, he was watching the water pressure gauge and the tach. Water pressure was at 49 PSI. Pretty high. The tach was at 5600. Here is where it gets weird. After a few miles, the RPM's slowly creeped to 5700 RPM. Then, slowly up to 5800 and stay there for 30 seconds or so. Then, it rapidly jumped up to 5900 for a few seconds, then it jumped to 6000. This is when the alarm sounded. We took a brand new fuel pump out to the lake to install after running the old one to see if this was the reason for the overheating. We loaded the boat and pulled out of the lake, popped off the cowling and noticed quite a bit of water all around the base of the cowling. There were even drops of water half way up on the block. Not good. I don't think there was anyway that water came in from around the cowling. It has a very good seal. The breathe hole is on top of the cowling, but no sign of water entering this area. We then felt all over the block. It was warm but not hot at all. Thinking that there was a water leak somewhere due to a bad seal or too high of water pressure from a waterflow blockage, we decided NOT to install the VRO pump at this time.<br /> We then drove back to the shop and pulled the block off and the heads off, looking for any possible water blockages. None were found and the gaskets looked good. We did see the in the head, the #2 and #4 cylinders were completely covered with a dark brown to black, very sticky residue. The mechanic thought it very much resembled burnt or boiled oil. The #6 cylinder head had only a few drops of the very same residue. The #1,3 and 5 cylinder head looked normal and very good.<br /> I have had the thermostats replaced, the water pump replaced and a complete carb overhaul done in the past few months. I am in dire and desperate despair. I know it has to be something simple, but we can't finger it. I sincerely appreciate your time. I appreciate any input you may have. We are scratching our heads. Please, please help me. <br /><br />Sincerely,<br />Don Cary

piers

Seaman
Re: Evinrude 200 Vindicator - overheats at WOT

Is the water intake coming out of the water at wot causing a drop in water press. therefore causeing the overheat and therefore the engine going into SLOW mode and therby dropping the RPM?I read a similar problem on another post and his eng. was mounted too high and the intake was coming out of the wter at WOT causing the waterpump to cavitate and all the similar problems you describe.He raised his engine and all is well.Might not be the problem but you never know.....<br /><br /> 2600

dondofish

Cadet

No, the intake is fine. My PSI is near 50 at WOT. That is a lot of water pressure. Also, my RPM's are not dropping, they are rising.<br /> This guy you speak of, did he RAISE his engine? Or LOWER his engine?<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Don

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I would ask first that when the overheat alarm comes on, did you feel BOTH sides of the block to see if either side was really over heated?<br /><br />Do you have a good spark at each cylinder when the engine is running? You can find this out with a timing light......<br /><br />The water could be found by running with the hood off. This should give some indication of where it's coming from and if it's splashing up on the plugs and wires.<br /><br />Not real sure why the fuel pump would be changed out if the engine is overheating.<br /><br />Where the carbs overhauled as part of the repowering? This should have been done.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

To get the idle down to normal, I'll push in the choke.
After a few miles, the RPM's slowly creeped to 5700 RPM. Then, slowly up to 5800 and stay there for 30 seconds or so. Then, it rapidly jumped up to 5900 for a few seconds, then it jumped to 6000. This is when the alarm sounded.
Sounds like a fuel problem. Running lean will cause the engine RPM's to increase and cause overheating. I would lean to pulling the carbs again and going through them. As for the water, as OBJ said, remove the cowling and take a peak..

dondofish

Cadet

Hello. The mechanic and I did pop off the cowling right after a hard 10 mile run, right after the water temp alarm sounded. BOTH sides of the block were warm, but definately not too hot to touch.<br /><br /> Not sure about the spark yet. I am waiting on base and head gaskets so we can check the timing on each cylinder.<br /><br /> As far as the fuel pump goes, I was told my engine MIGHT be leaning out at WOT. A bad fuel pump could cause this too.<br /><br /> The carbs were overhauled because it had horrible ideling problems. Everytime I put it in gear it would die unless I immediately gave it a little bit of throttle. That is finally about 400% better. Not perfect, but a lot better.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Why was the the block replaced in the first place?<br /><br />The fuel pump would have to be real bad to cause all the carbs to run lean. As Rick posted, I'd look closer at the carbs.<br /><br />There are test for the fuel pump that can verifiy if it's working correctly. It's in the OEM manual.<br /><br />As far as the alarm going off, that engine is equipped with a vaccum switch that is connected to the fuel supply line. If for some reason the fuel supply is restricted, this alarm will go off to warn the operator of the problem. The tone is the same as the overheat tone.....steady. Take a look at the fuel supply hoses for any kinks and make sure the fuel tank is vented. Check the primer bulb also...make sure the check valves haven't fallen apart.<br /><br />Also, make sure the pulse hose from the block to the fuel pump connections are tight. Might even pull the pulse limiter and check it for pluggage.<br /><br />EDIT: For the next wrench that looks at this thread.....did I just contradict myself???

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Has the blow-off valve been removed and the water hole inspected for flashing or debris? About that year they made a valve change. Look at the tip and see if it has grooves in it for air bleeds, or if there was a hole drilled thru the middle for the same thing. If not, get a new blow-off valve.<br /><br />Were the water deflectors in the cylinders replaced or at least inspected for melting or distortion?<br /><br />Depending on your transom length, there are 2 different water pump kits for your motor. Don't get them mixed up, it is easy to do because they look almost identical. It is the water pump housing that is different.<br /><br />If the oring is left out under the impeller, the motor will overheat at times. If the oring above the impeller cup is missing or if the air bleed hole is plugged with sealer, the motor can overheat at high speeds.

dondofish

Cadet

Thank you so much for your reply. I can tell you the water deflectors have been looked at with a probe light, but not taken out for a close inspection yet. <br /><br /> I will ask my mechanic about the orings. I am in doubt this could be it though because of the high water pressure I am getting. We checked the water pressure gauge for accuracy, it is accurate.<br /><br /> We did take out the pop-off valve and flip it around just for grins to see if this made a difference or not. I will take it out again and inspect it like you mentioned.<br /><br /> Thank you so very much for your valuable input. I appreciate it greatly.<br />Don

dondofish

Cadet

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Why was the the block replaced in the first place?<br /> The #1 piston had a hole the size of a quarter burned clean through it.<br /><br />The fuel pump would have to be real bad to cause all the carbs to run lean. As Rick posted, I'd look closer at the carbs.<br /><br />There are test for the fuel pump that can verifiy if it's working correctly. It's in the OEM manual.<br /><br />As far as the alarm going off, that engine is equipped with a vaccum switch that is connected to the fuel supply line. If for some reason the fuel supply is restricted, this alarm will go off to warn the operator of the problem. The tone is the same as the overheat tone.....steady. Take a look at the fuel supply hoses for any kinks and make sure the fuel tank is vented. Check the primer bulb also...make sure the check valves haven't fallen apart.<br /><br /> Funny you mentioned this. The other day when I went to prime the bulb, it felt different. Instead of getting hard, it felt like I was just squeezing air. Will check this out ASAP. Thank you! :) <br /><br />Also, make sure the pulse hose from the block to the fuel pump connections are tight. Might even pull the pulse limiter and check it for pluggage.<br /><br />EDIT: For the next wrench that looks at this thread.....did I just contradict myself???

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

<br /> We did take out the pop-off valve and flip it around just for grins to see if this made a difference or not. I will take it out again and inspect it like you mentioned. [/QB]
The blow-off valve is a hollow dome shape (or bullet shape), you cannot flip it around.

dondofish

Cadet

Originally posted by rickdb1boat:<br /><br />We FINALLY found the problem!! The timer base magnet was loose!! We took off the flywheel, flipped it over and grabbed the magnet. You could turn it 1/2" either direction. I am so happy!!!! Thank you for your time. Thought you'd like to hear about this one.<br /><br />Don<br /><br /><br />
To get the idle down to normal, I'll push in the choke.
After a few miles, the RPM's slowly creeped to 5700 RPM. Then, slowly up to 5800 and stay there for 30 seconds or so. Then, it rapidly jumped up to 5900 for a few seconds, then it jumped to 6000. This is when the alarm sounded.
Sounds like a fuel problem. Running lean will cause the engine RPM's to increase and cause overheating. I would lean to pulling the carbs again and going through them. As for the water, as OBJ said, remove the cowling and take a peak..

dondofish

Cadet

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /><br />We FINALLY found the problem!! The timer base magnet was loose!! We took off the flywheel, flipped it over and grabbed the magnet. You could turn it 1/2" either direction. I am so happy!!!! Thank you for your time. Thought you'd like to hear about this one.<br /><br />Don<br /><br /><br /> I would ask first that when the overheat alarm comes on, did you feel BOTH sides of the block to see if either side was really over heated?<br /><br />Do you have a good spark at each cylinder when the engine is running? You can find this out with a timing light......<br /><br />The water could be found by running with the hood off. This should give some indication of where it's coming from and if it's splashing up on the plugs and wires.<br /><br />Not real sure why the fuel pump would be changed out if the engine is overheating.<br /><br />Where the carbs overhauled as part of the repowering? This should have been done.