Carb rebuild loctite screws question

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1986 J60TLCD<br />Previously posted about blown wrist pin middle cylinder. I installed rebuilt powerhead and am slowly reinstalling the peripherals.<br /><br />Carb interiors are spotless as if I never used the boat. No visible varnish, no gunk. Clean as a whistle. Never used fuel stabilzer at end of season. Never ran engine until fuel used up, so carbs left wet. Just fogged in the carb throats until smoking, changed LUO, and closed up in garage for the winter X 19 years.<br /><br />Question: Manual says to loctite the carb float chamber screws. No mention of the screw/cover bolt that covers the removeable high speed orifice at the bottom front of the carb. Should that cover bolt be loctited to prevent it from falling out? or is that too risky as some of the still-liquid glue might seep up into the high speed orifice and block it off, too?<br /><br />Thanks for your advice. Harvey

D

DJ

Re: Carb rebuild loctite screws question

Too risky, IMHO.<br /><br />If you did not install new carb. kits, I would.

Walker

Captain

Should be a fiber washer on those screws. No loktite, I've never had one fall out

DHPMARINE

Captain

Next outboard carb screw I loctite will be the first.Since 1978.<br /><br />DHP

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Just curious Harvey.....which manual are you using?

h_lankford

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OBJ, I have the original factory manual that I bought with the boat new in 1986.<br /><br />My end of season routine was not what was recommended in the manual. <br /><br />When I said " No mention of the screw/cover bolt that covers the removeable high speed orifice at the bottom front of the carb" what I meant to say was that there was no mention of using loctite on it.