94 evinrude 150 spitfire

when starting the motor, it runs too rich and ruff til it runs for for about a min or two. I have been told it maybe oiler sensor... I dont have a clue....help

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 94 evinrude 150 spitfire

Most any 2 cycle engine will run rich, and a little ragged on start-up. That's normal

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

When it first starts up it'll be in Quick Start. It will idle slightly higher until it warms up. Thats why you dont have to advance the throttle manually.<br /><br />Also, dont shift it until it comes out of Quick Start.

Ok I have been told that the motor just started running ruff, in the past it fired up and idled good. now it will bearly run. until it warms up.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Sounds like you are loosing spark.But before going further,do these tests.Spark,compression and a fuel sample.<br />Then we can probe deeper into other things.But if you don't pass these tests,you'll waste your time going beyond.<br /><br />DHP

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I'm a bit confused. The motor is running rough. Youve been old that it was OK before but now its not. Or is it definately running rougher than it used to when you ran it?<br /><br />Is it new to you?

sorry for the confussion, I am trying to help a friend, so I only know what he has told me about it. thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK, cool. Find out what plugs he's using and how old they are. Your (his) discription is kinda what happens when the plugs are worn. Then find out if he uses oil injection or premix. And what brand / type oil. And if he's changed brand/type.