1959 Johnson 35 hp starter replacement

Noisegate

Recruit
Ok guys, I've searched and searched and just can't come up with an answer. I need a new starter for my old 59'er. The original was an Auto-lite MDW 4002M with 11 sprockets. Does anyone have any idea who is manufacturing or re-manufacturing a replacement for this? I have been unable to cross-reference the old starter with any of the new ones. <br /><br />Thanks much for your help and happy new year!

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1959 Johnson 35 hp starter replacement

Welcome to the forum Noisegate,<br /><br />Maxrules.com has one listed manufactured by API model# MOT 2005N, I Don't see one listed here at Iboats.<br /><br />Hope that helps ;)

Noisegate

Recruit

Thanks MCM! <br /><br />I've gone ahead and purchased that model from Maxrules and can hardly wait for it to arrive! I have spent a lot of time trying to come up with a replacement so I really, Really, REALLY appreciate your help! <br /><br />Cheers!

Paul Moir

Admiral

"Marine Electric Suppliers" MES-2060M is another possible replacement.<br /><br />If there's nothing seriously wrong with your starter, you could have it rebuilt by any automotive starter repair shop. There's zillions of them available used on ebay, etc, since they were used on 18/20/25/28/33/35/40hp Johnson and Evinrude engines between '57 and the late 70s (if not longer!).<br />There's actually three major manufacturers of them (autolite, prestolite, and Delco-Remy). The MDW starters are pretty weak, and the later Autolite MDO starters make a fine replacement. The Prestolite starters with the knurled shiny aluminium base (which appeared around '65 I think) are even stronger, but they have a bottom bracket on them which helps support them. I think it wouldn't be difficult to retrofit one of those to your '59, as long as you got the bottom bracket to go with it. The bracket attaches to a couple of the manifold screws under the carb.<br /><br />EDIT: Looks like I was too slow! :) That's a fine starter, good luck with it!

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to be of service :D

Noisegate

Recruit

Thanks guys for your detailed help! Next time, I'll come straight to this forum before scratching my head for months!<br /><br />p.s. the old starter was not a good rebuild candidate. The former owner took it apart and failed to put it back together with all the pieces. It was his own Humpty Dumpty.

Antonino

Cadet

ARCO also makes a replacement starter - its ARCO # 5376. It'll spin the heck out of your motor.
Prestolite also makes a replacement - Prestolite #5712N at less than half the cost. I have no experience
with Prestolite. Does anyone know if the original Autolite starter MDO4002M 12V is a electro-magnet type
starter or permanent magnet? The ARCO Replacement is a full permanent magnet thus requires no electrical
energy to magnetize. They have a lot of torque and are far superior to the old electro-magnetic type starters.
I've used ARCOs on both Mercury and OMC engines and they are excellent replacements. At half the cost, I'm
wondering if the Prestolite has the same amount of torque and is also a permanent magnet type starter. Anyone
know??

Thanks
Antonino