Convert Manual Tilt/Trim to Electric? 1977 Johnson 115hp

spiker_man

Cadet
Hi. I'm a newbie here along with my newly purchased old boat . . . a 1976 Glastron T186 with a Johnson 115hp V4. It currently has manual tilt/trim. What does it take to convert it to electric tilt/trim? I've been looking on eBay and see numerous tilt/trim units for Johnson outboards for sale and in the majority it says that they should work on mid-to-late '70's to 90's 85hp-115hp Johnson Outboards. How do I tell for sure that it will work? Is this something a DIY can install or am I better off finding a boat mechanic/dealer to do this for me? Or am I asking for a can of trouble and should just stick to the manual tilt/trim? Thanks to all who respond.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Convert Manual Tilt/Trim to Electric? 1977 Johnson 115hp

I have been looking into doing the same for my 1970 evinrude 115hp. I have not found anything yet. From what I understand you have to cross reference p/n's with the engine you have and see if they fit. Here is a good site for p/n reference: Evinrude web site Look under engine diagrams for your particular engine. Sorry I can not help more. Someone should come along who can answer your question better. Please share what you find out. Good luck.<br />-TR

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Check out the after market CNC tilt unit. I think you can find the link using the search feature on this site.

TimMattson

Seaman

The after market units are the easiest way to go ,but your bracket may have the holes to accept parts from a carcus donor trim assy.The bolts almost always are frozen and do come loose with patience and some heat from a torch and some good penetrating fluid.The hyd.cyl is really hard to beat out of the old unit ,let alone install back into yours.It is almost easier to drop a lower unit and swap a powerhead onto a complete trim bracket assy.but the #s wont match your block.<br /> Your lower unit driveshaft spline HAS to have the right # of splines and also watch out for a different style of exhaust routing.<br /> I saw a CMC pt130 on craiglist Seattle for $350.00 a few days ago.<br /> TR is probably stuck with the CMC model or the funky side mt. power TILT unit( I forget the maker)but not really meant for trimming while underway.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Spiker_Man...........<br /><br />Im my opinion, your best bet is to go with the CMC Tilt and Trim unit. I had an 1977 85hp Johnson without tilt and trim, on my cutty cabin, . I bought a 1985 85hp. parts motor, w/tilt and trim, to add to my '77 and found it was not compatable. I didn't know about the CMC system or i-boat's at that time.<br /><br />I ended up buying a neglected 1987 100hp commerical, with t&t for $500. I put a couple of hundred in it and it was worth every dime I put in it.<br /><br />A little while back, I bought a 1985 Grumman aluminum center console , with a 1989 Jonnyrude 75hp. stinger, without tilt and trim, from an estate. The engine has less than 40 original hours and had been in storage for many, many years but had been properly prepared for storage. This boat is a keeper, so I thought about adding a factory t&t, but again the cost of the parts and my labor to make the change over forces me to go with the CMC tilt and trim unit.<br /><br />The CMC unit will also add stability to your boat, as it has a 5 or 6" set back.<br /><br />Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any manufactuer or sales for CMC, or any other concern.<br /><br />I just think the t&t unit is a great product for an aftermarket application. Yes, i-boats carries these, at less than the factory retail price.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif... "The state of confusion"

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob in Calif..<br /><br />Have you bought and installed the CMC unit? If so, how do you like it? Any dislikes, or things to do differently?<br /><br />Thanks<br />-tr

spiker_man

Cadet

Thanks TR, Cricket, Tim, and Bob for the input.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

TR918..........<br /><br />Sorry for the delay in getting to your post.<br /><br />The first time I saw a CMC unit in action,was a couple years ago at the launch ramp, in a city next to mine. I was aware if the unit, but never saw one in action, until that day.<br /><br />After talking to the boat owner about the features and seeing it in action, I thought to get one for my cutty cabin, with the non t&t 85hp motor. <br /><br />When I acquired my center console boat, that's when I decided to buy the CMC unit for the 75hp Stinger. One nice thing I didn't mention, is the more number of degrees of movement you get with the after market t&t.<br /><br />I am planning on buying the t&t in January, as I have been spending a ton of money on a second home I have, getting it ready to sell in erly '06, The most expensive work is now done while having some major set back's from two vendors and a couple of contractor's. That has prolonged the remodel completion and cost me a whole non-boating summer. :( :mad: I am doing 75% of the work myself, so the set backs ruined any boating upgrading and use time, this year.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

Jcrain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put a CMC PTT on a 40 hp Johnson for my pontoon boat. I love it. I did have a small problem installing it. THe steering cable had to be re-routed and an access hole cut, but I believe that was a pontoon issue, not the trim unit. Once hooked up, I love it, don't know how I got along with out it. BTW, it'll run you close to $500, but well worth it.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input guys. I will have to save some $$ for the CMC unit. Bob, Sorry to hear about the house. Working with independent contractors can be a pain. Good luck.<br /><br />-TR

nightflight

Seaman Apprentice

I have a trim and tilt unit for a 90 hp manual that will probably fit your engine. It was working when I took it off the baot last week, some rust on the lift motor housing. contact me nightflight@embarqmail.com if it won't work one similar will.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe that only the 1973 - 1977 tilt and trims will fit your motor, and when you find one they are usually at least 400 dollars. Personally I would get the CMC if I had to buy the complete unit anyway. I spent about 350 dollars for a new motor for the tilt and trim on my 1975 Johnson 115 and it was hard to find. Had I not have already had the factory unit I would have bought the CMC

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

I installd a CNC-130 on my sketer bas boat, 85hp 1973 rude, It works great, provides a few inches of set back and was not complicated at all to install.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

holy-resurrect-a-three-year-old-thread-batman

Suspect he's got a solution and moved on by now.