Two of 4 cylinders hot - '96 88hp Evinrude

rwerner43

Seaman
I just got a 1996 88hp Evinrude in seemingly very good shape. Startes with a little effort, but no starter fluid. It seems to not get full power yet, it will get my 16' boat up to about 13 knots, not on plane.<br /><br />So the first question. After I had run her for about 1/2 hour I noticed the port cylinders were smoking a little. They were definately hotter than the other two, a drip of water boiled off. When I came off power and headed back, they seemed to cool to the same as the other two. Just hot to the touch, not burning.<br /><br />I just started her this morning and the port two got hot much faster than the starbord.<br /><br />The pisser is giving a steady stream.<br /><br />Could this just be a water pump going bad?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Rich

TxShorty

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Two of 4 cylinders hot - '96 88hp Evinrude

Since one side is geting hotter than the other, it's not likely that it's just a water pump. Just the same, water pump and thermostats might take care of it......<br /><br />Wouldn't hurt you either to pull the heads and change the block deflectors.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with TxShorty, 2 t'stats 1 port, 1 starboard, only 1 w/pump.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

and ya may want to test your alarm, water boils at 212*F and I think the overheat triggers something like 190*F on that motor. in anycase the OMC alarm systems were not very reliable and need to be tested. cometo think of it I reccomend any make being tested periodically.<br /> but the t-stats need replacing just as the water pump does occasionaly. the key is to fix them BEFORE they break. the price of the T-stat and pump is the same whether or not ya buy pistons and machine work.<br /> and it sounds like you may have some carb issues as well. time for a compression and spark test before going further.