Evinrude 88 Special

RC Wilkins

Cadet
I have a ticking noise while at mid RPM.<br />This has been ticking for a couple of years soI don't think that something major,But it is starting to get on my nerves.<br />Sounds like maybe a reed valve.<br /><br />Any help<br />Betme 55

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 88 Special

Welcome!!<br /><br />Is it only at mid rpm or can you hear it at idle too? Does it do it with the hood off?

RC Wilkins

Cadet

I don't hear it at idle,But I have not listen to it with the hood off.<br />Only at cruise speeds it seems to be noticeable.<br />wide open can't hear it at all.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Betme

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A couple of things come to mind. When youre at this particular speed and start to hear it, have someone go back to the motor and hold down on each of the 3 hood latches. probably not it but its worth a try. Seen it before.<br /><br />Regardless lets do a real good decarb if we havent done one in a while. Especially if the top rpms are at 5500 or less. If the rings are starting to stick the piston will loose support and start to rattle. It should be noticable at idle but it could be what you describe.<br /><br />A compression test is never a bad idea either. Just so we know where we're at.

RC Wilkins

Cadet

Dhadley<br />Funny you should mention the latches because one of the latches is looser than the other two.I will check the other points that you suggested. <br />The noise has been there since near new (1996)<br />The engine does not have many high speed hours.<br />I guess I work too much<br /><br />Betme