85 johnson only starts with starting fluid?

basspunky

Recruit
I have a 1973, 85 Johnson that will start and run perfect if I use starting fluid. After it is hot it will start on the first try and run great. However when I set on the lake for an hour it will fire once , kick out the starter, and not stay running. After three tries it will not fire at all until I give it a shot of starting fluid. Then it runs perfect - real nice! I had both carbs rebuilt and new plugs. All the coils are firing everytime. Could it be a weak spark? Or bad fuel pressure? Perhaps a bad Power Pack. :confused:

fireman57

Captain
Re: 85 johnson only starts with starting fluid?

Welcome to iboats. If you must start it this way then put some premix in a spray bottle and use it. There is no lube in starting fluid.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, BP.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Starting fluid will destroy your engine. No lubricant in it. Use premix fuel as a primer if you have to use anything at all.

basspunky

Recruit

Thank you for the prompt response and Thank you for the advice, I'll make the switch as I already wondered about that before. Do you have any idea why it will not start on it's own? The motor runs so good after startup I hate to get rid of it. Can it be fixed?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bass, I would perform a compression check on that motor. If the compression is balanced between cylinders, and more than 85PSI, I would suspect weak spark, non-operation of the choke, or some other carb problem, in that order.<br /><br />Check your spark plug wires for leakage, spark plugs for correct gap, ignition system for proper set up. All electrical connections for clean tight connections

papasmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should not have to use any extra fluid to start your motor. I would check the operation of the choke first, to make sure the choke plates are closing all the way. Then additional troubleshooting as necessary.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Remove the carburetor face plate, then as Papasmurf states, have the key in the ON position, then engage the electric choke to see if the choke butterflies accuate and close completely.

basspunky

Recruit

O.K... The compression readings are 108,108,110 & 111. New plugs have been checked and are set properly. Good spark, jumping 1/2 inch. The choke is working freely both auto. and manually. However they don't quite close all the way, there is an 1/8 inch gap. (Maybe that is all the way?) I tried a little fuel mix sprayed directly in the carburetor... she fired right up and starts without fail in one-(1) second. Until she cools off, then it's prime again. Therefore I seems I am not getting fuel from the pump to the carbs until after I prime it. Why??? Need a new fuel pump? Thanks for your help this far!

G DANE

Commander

You just found your problem, thanks to Joe Reeves. Butterflies should close hermetically, to have effect. Check and lube all your linckages untill everything moves freely.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you find that the linkage is moving freely, you may find that moving the choke solenoid down in small increments will solve the problem.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

G Dane.... He can thank Papasmurf for the choke statement. I simply backed that mention up.

basspunky

Recruit

HEY! YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!! Papasmurf, Joe Reeves, G Dane and Ezeke. Everything else on the motor checked out A-OK. But the choke was not closing completely,(it was leaving an 1/8" inch gap top and bottom) as it turns out after lubricating the linkage I noticed that it was bumping on the bottom of the choke solenoid housing. With a slight adjustment(1/8")upward the linkage moves freely, the choke closes completely and the engine started cold with no problem. <br /><br />Thanks you guys saved me hundreds of dollars from what the marina wanted to charge for trouble shooting. Thanks again... I'll be back! :D

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remove the carburetor face plate, then as Papasmurf states, have the key in the ON position, then engage the electric choke to see if the choke butterflies accuate and close completely.

what exactly are the butterflies, is it the metal part of the carburator that opens and close when you excellerate and decellerate? please help because i am experienceing the same problem

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is all the way?) I tried a little fuel mix sprayed directly in the carburetor... she fired right up and starts without fail in one-(1)

fuel mix is just a mixture of 2cycle motor oil and gas, right. if not please explain.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yes correct mix make sure its outboard oil, just like the boat uses. the choke butterfly is a separate one than the throtte butterfly take the air box off and you should see one closed in the back, throttle,and one that is horizontal in the fron that is the choke and should be horizontal when not choked but when it should be vertical and close the troat of the carb off!

-Nate

makak

Recruit

Hi Bass,
your thread gave me some good info. I am about to buy a small boat with a 85 johnson in it.

its is my first boat. I wanted to know what are the things i should look for that would cause me lots of repairs?

the boat has been used this summer by the previous owner a few times, so it is in "running" condition?

can you give me some tips on what i should look for?
anything i should check before buying the boat?

I am asking you because you have the same engine .
thanks so much!

Alex

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Well hope I don't have all this trouble with my 85 hp Rude, I am looking for a wiring diagram for a 69 model #85993E , any idea where too look on any web sites?