Age of Johnson Motor

Ynot0323

Cadet
I have a Johnson 20 Outboard Motor<br /><br />Model # FD-21R<br />Serial # J2795028<br /><br />Is there any way to find out what yr this engine was made in, so i can make sure to get the right manual for it.. <br /><br />I am also in need of the Cowl for it.. My local boat place, said the motor is too old to have the parts.. <br /><br />My e-mail is Ynot0323@Aol.Com , please contact me through my personal e-mail..

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Age of Johnson Motor

Welcome to iboats Kidd !!<br /><br />It looks like you have a 1967 20hp motor. Too old?? What a hoot. There's lots of parts available for ya.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Kidd,<br /><br />You're local boat place probably isn't old enough to know how to work on one :D <br /><br />Welcome,<br />Mike ;)

Ynot0323

Cadet

The shop has been at its present location since 1955, so obviously the guy that works there, didnt know what he was talking about.. <br /><br />I am in need of getting an owners manual and a Cowl for this motor.. <br /><br />Should i go to any specific web site to find these parts ?!?! <br /><br />Any sites, that you HIGHLY recommend.. <br /><br />Anthony

Ynot0323

Cadet

Here is my question, the cowl on mine, is in decent shape, but the bolt thing that it locks in on, is broken off, i was trying to find a cowl repair part.. but no such luck.. I mean shy of just going to the Hardware Store and buying a bolt and modifying my existing cowl.. <br /><br />I will keep an eye on the one from E-bay..<br /><br />THANKS

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't say for sure, I can't see why they wouldn'tyou could contact that local shop and have them cross reference the p/n for the '68 and see if it will work on yours.<br /><br />Mike ;)

Ynot0323

Cadet

maybe if i can find another local shop.. The one i went to today, to get carb kit and fuel pump, said " that motor is too old, we dont carry parts for it, maybe you should get a newer motor".. Why would i need to do that, if i can just come on here and get parts.. <br /><br />TONY

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just to let you know, I have that same engine. It too needs the CORRECT cowl. BUT a 25 horse does fit at the bottom but is kind of strange at the pull rope area. It has a different hole for the pull rope and makes the engine kind of loud but no big deal. Mines been that way for 7-8 yrs. now and I'm alright with it. WHAT??!! <br /><br />I didn't get that!!<br /><br />Really isn't that bad.

Ynot0323

Cadet

KB, i was planning on just fixing the one i have now.. There is nothing wrong with it, other then the Roller Latch being snapped off and i need to figure out how to get the handguard type thing for the rope pull back into the cowl.. <br /><br />I am going to go through the WHOLE motor tomorrow and get a break-down of missing parts.. <br /><br />I really need to get the manual, so i can have diagrams of the power-head and the lower unit.. <br /><br />K.B. can i ask, if u replaced your prop, where did u get it from and what kind.. How many blades, size, pitch and all that..

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

You have a 22ci Johnson/Evinrude 18-20-25HP motor, one of the most popular and durable outboards ever made. Production ran from 1957 through about 1972. You can get all your "consumable" parts - gaskets, t-stats, points, condensers, coils, etc - from iBoats or NAPA or about a million other online sources. iBoats is good price and fast shipping. You can get an unlimited supply of used "durable" parts on eBay or ANYPLACE that deals in salvaged outboard parts. Start with a factory manual and factory parts catalog. The 20HP model FD series was made in 1966, '67, and '68. Any manual or catalog for those years will be EXACT for your motor. Any manual for an 18HP or 20HP Johnson or Evinrude between 1959 - 1968 will be 99% exact. Use Ebay's "advanced" search and search eBay Stores under "Johnson 20HP" and you'll find stuff like this:<br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-20-HP-JOHNSON-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-20-HP-JOHNSON-OUTBOARD-ENGINE-PARTS-PART-CATALOG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26453QQitemZ248140 0321QQrdZ1<br />and this:<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...ewItemQQcategoryZ26453QQitemZ4536181282QQrdZ1 <br />I just grabbed the first two I saw. Do some searching for the best price. Search eBay for a cowl too (not just in "stores") and watch for a '66, '67, or '68 20HP Johnson FD. The cowl is one of the few changes OMC made over the years to these engines, purely cosmetic but you want the right one to fit the recoil (as mentioned before). Also try the red "search" feature near the top of this page and search under "20HP" or "18HP" or something similar to read old posts on this motor. You will find advice and knowledge from guys who know every nut and bolt. Priceless knowlege for FREE!<br />WARNING: these old outboards are addictive and you may wind up tearing the whole thing apart and litterally cleaning all the individual pieces with a toothbrush and putting it back together.

Ynot0323

Cadet

I am going to go ahead and degrease the motor tomorrow, but can i take the cowl off and wash the Power Head ?!?! <br /><br />Seems to be DIRTY in there, and i would just like to get it as clean as possible, as to make sure there are no leaks.. <br /><br />Please let me know..

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kidd Bear,<br /> Until I look I don't have the prop pitches for the 18 and the 20 here in the computer (do'know why)but I'm pretty sure they are the same. I've used both motors on the same boats ( A model alumacraft and FD of same). Never noticed any significant difference between them as far as takeoff or topspeed. I figure the pitch/diam. must be all around good for rock hunting, hemp harvesting, you know, that sort of thing!! (LOL)<br /> I will find out numbers and post back. Great running little motors tho!! Took E-start off the 18 and put on the 20. parts are the same.

Ynot0323

Cadet

I am going to go ahead tomorrow and degrease the motor, and check the power head and cowl for missing or broken parts and replace them.. <br /><br />I am trying to get the lil guy running to put on a Lowe 14' Flat Bottom Boat, to be used for duck hunting and going to the local salt water fishing hole.. <br /><br />Tony

kajuncook

Recruit

Hi! I'm new to this site. I have an old Johnson outboard motor my father gave me in the early 80's. He said he used it as a teenager which would make it a late 30's or early 40's model. I think he was confused. The only identification I could find on it was on the block. It has a stamping of "75 1954." It also has "ser." but nothing after. It also has "mod." with TD 20 following. I'm guessing all this means it is a 7.5 hp made in 1954. Am I correct? Is there some place else to look for identifying marks? It last ran in the late 90's. Can I get reproduction decals for it? THANKS!!!

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

kajuncook,
Welcome to iboats. Start your own thread and you'll get all the help you need without getting mixed up in someone else's thread.