vintage johnson motor

rummytub

Recruit
I just inherited a 1920's johnson outboard.It's a 4cyl 32hp serial# 128982 model#V-45 with a carb #Vacturi lettering. made in Waukegan ILL. complete unit, missing only the pull cord.Can anyone tell me more info on this, and a ball park price for selling.<br />thank you.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: vintage johnson motor

There may be some folks here that know about that motor, and I'm sure they'll chime in. Other folks with knowledge about it may be on the Antique Outboard Motor Club website and forum, aomci.org

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi RummyTub,<br /> The V-45 is a beastie! It is actually 26 horsepower in stock trim. Take that little plate off the back of the exhaust manifold and it becomes a 32 (by releasing backpressure). Not uncommon as vintage motors go, but not garden-variety, either. They are fairly sought after by those into the "big iron". Not sure what they're going for these days. Dad sold his a few years ago for a few hundred. Might be able to get more now, but I don't know for sure. <br /><br />- Scott

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

V-45s were made from 1929 to 1932, Rummytub.<br /><br />I think it was a V-45 (4 cylinder boxer) that was on the camp "speedboat" where I went to summer camp in the early 40s. The younger Counselors used to take a plate off the exhaust to make it faster. Don't know if it was any faster, but it sure was louder. :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

If you're interested to know, the serial number suggests it was made in 1930. This link might be helpful to you as well:<br /> Click here.