Honda 50 4 stroke auto choke or carburetor problem?

kbcc

Cadet
I have purchased two new 50 hp Honda 4 stroke outboard motors to use on my glassbottom boat tour here in Kona – Hawaii. I am having some real problems and it seems my local dealer/ mechanic cannot come up with answers. I do not know where to turn, so am just throwing out this inquiry. The motors fire right up in the morning, and go for about a ½ hour at 3,000 rpm to the pier where we operate the boat doing glassbottom cruises. That’s where the trouble begins. The idle is jumpy, the motors throw out a carbon like exhaust, they die. And when started tend to jump and sputter at 2,000 rpms. When returning to the pier they often die. It’s like the choke is engaged or something, don’t know.<br />The oil is black, exhaust carbon like stuff is running down the legs, and the plugs are fouled after only a few hours. I replaced the wasted plugs after about 20 hours, and again yesterday…..now with about 8 hours on them I will again replace…That, along with the blackish oil. The local mechanic/dealer seems to think its in the carburetors and wants to rebuild them. Others think maybe something is amiss with the automatic choke.The boat is used for my business and I re-powered to get me through my two upcoming busiest months. The motors now have about 50 hours and this started almost from the beginning - and to both the same. Now I wish I had kept my Honda 25’s. Can anyone offer any advice or tell me who to ask, I am at a loss. CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY ADVICE OR TELL ME WHO TO ASK-I AM AT A LOSS