1969 Evinrude 40 horse...fuel mixture

salmonjodi

Recruit
Just came upon a 40 horse Evinrude and need to know the fuel/oil mixture, if anyone can help...thanks. Previous owner not sure.

BF

Lieutenant
Re: 1969 Evinrude 40 horse...fuel mixture

50:1 it's a baaaad sign that the previous owner didn't know. You should assume it has been subjected to neglect/abuse through ignorance.

salmonjodi

Recruit

Thanks, BF. I hear you about a bad sign but he mentioned he mixed the gas the same as his chainsaw, so I figured it was either 40 or 25:1. I am hoping a little more oil is better than not enough. Thanks again.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Use TC-W3 oil, not oil for a chainsaw.<br />Check out the Engine FAQ forum for details on how to decarb the engine. It's almost definitely due especially if aimproper oils were used.

BF

Lieutenant

What I meant was that since he was not aware of the oil type/ratio, my guess is that other maintenance things may have been completely ignored. Did he know to regularly change the lower unit oil? or that the water pump needs periodic servicing?<br /><br />To be safe, I'd assume it's been neglected (=not maintained properly), and go through all maintenance things now... then you know when it was last done. Be a shame if an old hardened impeller self destructed once the motor starts getting some use again... or if the lower unit gets wrecked 'cause there's more water than oil in it.<br /><br />I've saved a couple "neglectarino's" myself... well worth it, but I assumed I'd be catching up on years of maintenance and figured that into the cost when I considered buyin' them. On one I also wasn't sure if the previous owner had known enough to mix the gas properly. But compression was good so I took a chance. The gear oil had no water, but was black as tar. He'd probably never changed it. I could've parted it out for what I paid, but it turns out to be a strong runnin' 15 hp, so it ended up being a bargain.<br /><br />A service manual would be good.<br /><br />good luck.