Johnson Colt. Worth fixing?

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
I have a chance to pick up a lightly used but older (early mid 80's) Johnson Colt. The tag is partially obscured but model # looks like CODOR<br />Serial # is B0106871. First can somebody quote me a year and HP rating. ( Is it 1.2 or 2 hp?)<br /><br />Second the motor starts right up but stalls in a minute or two. I then noticed that I get shocked when I touch the throttle ( there is arcing coming from the throttle plate (under flywheel) to block. I'm guessing it's the coil/ignition wire cracked but don't want to spend a furtune easteregging parts into it. Any info /ideas appreciated. Wondering if I should just pass.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson Colt. Worth fixing?

Johnson Trouble.

Paul Moir

Admiral

It's a 1.2hp, not 2hp.<br />I can't seem to work out the model number from what you have. (J)CO seems correct, but DO (which gives us the year) makes no sense at all. CDR would be '86, is it possibly that?<br />The ignition coil is the super common 582995, which Iboats sells an aftermarket version of (18-5181) for around $15. If it's the plug wire, that wire would cost a couple bucks. This is all assuming you do the work yourself, using a manual borrowed from the library or something.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry for the misplace post ents. I thought I paid particular attention to that (I read the stiky). Must have been high on fumes.<br /><br />Thanks for the response Paul, owner thinks he got it aroun 86 so that helps. Thanks for the tip on the parts will keep you posted. Plan to trouble shoot tonight after I get the Ok from teh owner.