1968? 33hp johnson wiring?

notjunk1

Cadet
recently acquired 33 hp johnson...old beast...the seller cut off the ignition switch, and i dont know what wire goes where...on the switch...<br />5 wires from the harness...red (obviously power)<br />white, purple/white, and 2 black...dont wanna smoke the electrics...help? :confused:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1968? 33hp johnson wiring?

Red to Batt. White to S, or switch. Two blacks' to the terminals' M, or magneto. Purple-white to Acc.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This one is pretty good. It's for a 40, but the wiring on all the bigtwins was pretty much the same.<br /><br />
1634.jpg
<br /><br />Sorry about the size, but if you reduce it too much it gets hard to read... :cool:

Paul Moir

Admiral

I like my 28hp schematic better. :) <br /><br /> http://files.filehosting.org/pr12156.pdf <br /><br />There's no temp switch and the 33hp has an electric choke.<br /><br />Purple-white = choke (red in my diagram)<br />white = start<br />blacks = magneto lines for stopping the engine (do not let these get +12v!)<br />Since you don't have a generator, eliminate the ammeter, the voltage regulator, and the fuses & junction box since the solenoid is actually in the outboard.<br /><br />PS - I'm presuming you've got a '69-70 by the wire colours. There should be a plate on the top of the swivel/tilt bracket just between the two transom clamps. See if you can find the model #.

hank38

Cadet

Originally posted by lark2004:<br /> This one is pretty good. It's for a 40, but the wiring on all the bigtwins was pretty much the same.<br /><br />
1634.jpg
<br /><br />Sorry about the size, but if you reduce it too much it gets hard to read... :cool:
LARK2004, This is a nice wiring diagram. I need one for my 1978 Johnson 9.9 HP electric start engine. Where do I get it?