'68 Evinrude 65HP "Sportfour" -newbie advice

jacksoncolt

Recruit
I know some auto basics but have never worked on outboards. I recently acquired this motor and It runs fine aside from needing the idle adjusted. The problem is I noticed black sludge on the water when running in a can. It seems to be coming from a pinhole on the fin just above the prop. Checked the L.U. oil level and there's oil, but its milky. I figure from reading other posts that water is getting in to the Lower unit from a bad seal. How big of a job is changing these seals. Could a newbie like me do it? Would I need special tools? Anything I should do first? <br /><br />Also, does this motor have a tell tale stream? It doesn't seem to overheat, but only "spits" hot water from the large hole below the shroud. <br /><br />Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long post. <br />Jackson

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: '68 Evinrude 65HP "Sportfour" -newbie advice

Your engine was made long before the tell tales came on the scene.<br /><br />The black stuff is unburned fuel/oil and is normal for those engines.<br /><br />You should get the OMC shop & parts manual to tackle the seals in the lower unit. This is a job that is well within the abilities of most driveway mechanics.

jacksoncolt

Recruit
Re: '68 Evinrude 65HP "Sportfour" -newbie advice

Thanks SoLittle. I must have a lot of unburned fuel/oil--the can looked like the Exxon Valdez disaster. Seemed to be running OK, though. I'll get the books. Thanks again.