1929 Johnson J-25 Restoration

dragonfly247

Recruit
Thanks for ID on the motor guys. Any ideas where I should start with the restoration process? The good thing is that it runs. Gave it a quick clean and took it out for a spin... It's in good shape considering it's age. Never restored a outboard before. Was wondering how much it may run? All the parts are there and functioning.<br /><br />The sparkplug in it now is a champion "D16", does anyone know if it is still made or if there is a suitable replacement for it? I have not been able to find the Champion website. Only one that comes up is for their aviation products.<br /><br />Where would I start to find replacement parts for the ignition? (points, condenser, coil and wire) I know they work condiering I got a pretty good shock off them but I might try to replace them for better condition stuff.<br /><br />Any assistance to help point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 1929 Johnson J-25 Restoration

So it was a J25 was it? Great little outboard you've got there!<br />About the spark plug, Champion seems to cross-list the original sparkplug for that engine (the old C7) to an RD16. This is the same as the D16 except it has a resistor, so it would not work for your outboard (resistor spark plugs take too much away from the ignition system). So I think that's where the D16 comes from. <br />But, the recomendations I see from Johnson is to use a Champion D9J (effectively the same as a D9) plug to replace the C7. Personally, unless someone told me otherwise I would go with the manufacture's recomendation rather than Champion's. Both the D9 and the D16 are listed as available over at www.championsparkplugs.com .<br />As for parts, check out the links page over at www.aomci.org . <br /><br />Oh, and this might be of some interest:<br /> http://users2.ev1.net/~rainbowchaser/manuals/ejs/ejs.html <br /><br />I hope this helps!